Discuss Draka BS6004 Ridged Twin & Earth? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

rs250250

Hi,

Been a long time since I posted here and was hoping some of you wise sages could shed some light on my question.

I have on 2 occasions come across grey cable which is twin & earth but not flat, it has a ridge running down the middle of the cable. The markings on the cable are DRAKA BS6004 BASEC 2012.

359g4le.jpg
[/IMG]

2jflkpt.jpg
[/IMG]

I just wanted to know if anyone has come across this type of cable?

It says it is BASEC approved but is it compliant. All the T&E I have ever installed is flat

Given some of the snide cables out there I just wanted to get some feedback.

Thanks guys.

Look at the end of the cable the Insulation is the same thickness at everypoint so I see no issues with compliance ...it looks like it probably saves 10% approx in pvc so can be manufactured cheaper with still the same degree of protection.

We get both types of T&E from our local wholesalers, the smooth flat type and the one with a figure of 8 type profile. Different manufacturers but they're both made to the same ISO spec so they're both effectively the same.

Last edited:
Interestingly on the Draka website their twin and earth is pictured as flat but the cable specification shows it to be the figure 8 as above.
Australian cables are a similar shape but have a sheathed cpc.

It's not white it is grey. It is actually really easy for stripping, For some reason our local wholesaler supplies 1.5mm like this but the 2.5mm is flat
I never really thought about it before.

Look at the end of the cable the Insulation is the same thickness at everypoint so I see no issues with compliance ...it looks like it probably saves 10% approx in pvc so can be manufactured cheaper with still the same degree of protection.

Thanks guys, as always really helpful replies.

I found this link on the Voltimum site which says exactly what you guys said.

Q & A of the Day ? Is this ribbed twin & earth cable OK to use? Is it compliant? | Voltimum UK

Will bear in mind for future jobs :smile5:

Cheers

Reply to Draka BS6004 Ridged Twin & Earth? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net