Discuss Dressing diamond bits in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi boys on a job at the moment where I've been supplied a erbauer diamond 28mm core bit. Not the greatest quality and keeps clogging what's the best way to clean/ rough it up again?
Only done around 4 holes so far through red brick single skin around 150mm depth. Using sds on percussion with minimal pressure, cutting dry as well

Pull the drill in and out whilst coring(like sex) but removes dust and prevents and air lock and puts less friction on the core drill. Alternatively get a better core cutter

Hi boys on a job at the moment where I've been supplied a erbauer diamond 28mm core bit. Not the greatest quality and keeps clogging what's the best way to clean/ rough it up again?
Only done around 4 holes so far through red brick single skin around 150mm depth. Using sds on percussion with minimal pressure, cutting dry as well

"Hello gnselectricals",

You should not be using percussion when using a Diamond Core bit - the fact that it is becoming clogged up is partly because you are `hammering` brick into the core bit and possibly the bit is not performing well because the Diamond tips have possibly been partially flattened.

Also - depending on the design of the core bit you will find that they often have to be cleaned out [hammer and thin cold chisel or old screwdriver] to get the brick / block debris out of them.

Rotary only with the next one and it should last for many holes in single skin brickwork.

Regards,

Chris

EDIT:

P.S: Sorry I did not see the replies above - when I started to reply to You there were no responses but I had to go away from my Computer for a while - I then wrote this reply and posted it only then seeing that You have already received some replies.

Member LankyWill`s suggestions are good advice also - and when you pull the bit out shake it to try and get the debris out each time.

Chris

Last edited:
A mate of mine who is in the tool hire business recommends running diamond core bits into a cinder block or a similar type of abrasive building block to clear the debris out of the diamond tips when drilling soft bricks

Got a few options there guys cheers. Did here about trying a breezeblock to rough it up so will try that tomorrow

"Hello again gnselectricals",

Good Luck with trying that - however IF the Diamond tips are damaged / `flattened` nothing will rectify that except `Re-tipping` which would not be cost effective with a 28mm Diamond Core bit unless the Company sends Core bits away regularly for this to be done.

Having seen your message above where you mentioned that you had not used percussion - my comments below are not directed at You - just so that other `Readers` / DIYers can see what would probably happen if they did damage a Hired Diamond Core bit by using persussion when using it:

Some Years ago before large Diamond Core bits [eg. 127mm] were available to buy at a reasonable price - probably early 1990`s - I used to Hire them - there was the hire charge plus a wear charge - the Diamond tips were measured with a digital micrometer when the Core bit was hired and again when it was returned.

The wear charge was calculated by X amount per part of a millimetre - this was much more `cost effective` than buying an expensive Diamond Core bit [expensive at that time] and having to purchase another when that wore out or try to find a Company to `Re-tip` it - again expensive and I would have to send it away to have that done.

On one occasion a friend who I was doing a job for wanted to borrow the Diamond Core bit from me to cut a hole for a bathroom Vent Axia - He told me that he would be using it himself and as he was an experienced Builder I agreed - I had no need to mention not using percussion on the Drill to him - unfortunately he then gave the Core bit to a young inexperienced Labourer but he did not tell him not to use percussion when cutting the hole.

The Diamond Core bit was ruined before the young man realised that something must be wrong - the Diamond tips were `hammered` almost flat and the Hire Company wanted to charge Me the entire `wear charge` - something like 6mm X £48.00 per millimetre - approx. £288.00 - a lot of money in the early 1990`s for a `simple mistake` !

This was too much money to charge in my opinion - BUT - they tried to insist that if it was not paid I would be `depriving them of the wear charges that would otherwise have been produced from an undamaged Tool` - I could see their point.

I contacted the Company Head Office and negotiated that they were paid the Cost price of a replacement - my Friend had to pay [pay Me] for replacing the Diamond Core bit which from memory was something like £140.00 - again quite expensive in the early 1990`s and the Hire Company probably inflated the cost to `Book price`.

I did `try my luck` and suggested that the situation should be covered by the Insurance aspect of the Hire charge - just as in `Accidental Damage` - but obviously they decided that `Misuse` was not covered by the Insurance - the cause of the damage to the Diamond Core bit being quite obvious to the Hire Company branch Manager and Staff.

Just a `Cautionary Tale` for DIYers / people inexperienced in the use of Diamond Core bits.

Regards,

Chris

Last edited:
"Hello gnselectrical / All",

I did not create the Links to the core bit and extract fan that have appeared in the first paragraph of my previous message.

Although in this context seeing the cost of that sized bit might help readers to see my point about re-tipping not usually being cost effective I would not want the OP and other Members thinking that I put that there to be `funny` / sarcastic in any way.

I did not see the extract fan link until it was too late to edit the message - it was not showing when I originally edited my message with a P.S. about the bit.

I edited my message earlier by putting a P.S. comment regarding this but when I reposted the message the Link was not showing so I re-edited it again removing my P.S. comment - but I noticed that the Link was back again a few minutes ago so I wrote this instead of Editing again.

Does anyone know how that occurs - I cannot imagine that it happens `automatically` if one mentions ANY product or Tool as I would have noticed this in the past - ?

I have worded this so as NOT to describe the exact Bit [or extract fan] that I wrote about in my previous message - OR perhaps there would be another Link created in this message - IF this is an Automatic process and `happens all of the time` I cannot imagine why I have not noticed it ?

Regards,

Chris

Last edited:
haha very true! but you'll give some of the old boys on here a heart attack if they see you using sexual innuendos
? you mean your family is very prude?

mine must be the opersit.

at my grand mothers wedding (in her 60's) everyone was singing along to suzie bear and worse songs, that was before a couple bikers went onto the dance floor in the nude on there harleys

Just bought some MARCUIST core hole drills these are designed to be used on hammer as someone used my new core hole set for about 8 holes over 4 days & totally f....d it, also the other day we used a core hole drill HILTI & HILTI BIT & done about 20 holes in about 4 hours very good machine & core BIT, we did also get the BIT re-toothed at cost of about £120.00 but this had done loads of core holes before hand.

Last edited:
A handy tip, especially for bigger cores is to core out approx. 5-10mm deep. Then get a 5mm SDS bit and stitch drill as many holes as you want/can around the circle. Then crack on core drilling again. Reduces wear on the core. I use the same technique on timber with routers and jigsaws, as router bits can be expensive also.

But why oh why are you coring 28mm holes... Just get a big SDS drill bit out! You are far too professional for my liking mate! :smiley2:

Last edited:
A handy tip, especially for bigger cores is to core out approx. 5-10mm deep. Then get a 5mm SDS bit and stitch drill as many holes as you want/can around the circle. Then crack on core drilling again. Reduces wear on the core. I use the same technique on timber with routers and jigsaws, as router bits can be expensive also.

But why oh why are you coring 28mm holes... Just get a big SDS drill bit out! You are far too professional for my liking mate! :smiley2:
why not do what the site boys do though, drill in 10mm from outside with core bit then use the clump hammer & just smash through apparently saves loads of time

Reply to Dressing diamond bits in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net