Discuss Dual RCD problem (interconnection between lighting circuits?) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

F

fire8789

Hi guys, looking for abit of help.
Carried out a consumer unit change today, carried out all dead testing etc, all came back ok.

New board is a twin 63a RCD.

With the following configuration both RCDS tripped straight back out.

RCD 1 *upstairs lights
*Downstairs sockets
*Boiler
*Bathroom Low voltage

RCD 2 *Downstairs lights
*Upstairs sockets
*Cooker
If I swapped the upstairs lights over to RCD 2 however + then swap the downstairs lights to RCD 1 there were no problems.

I did find some kind of neutral interconnection via insulation resistance testing between upstairs and downstairs light circuits. which came back as 0.03 ohms.

Any ideas as to whether this would cause the RCDS to trip as described above and if so what the best possible way of tracking the fault would be?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards. Rich

it sounds like a shared neutral. investigate that 0.03 ohms for a start, or was it 0.03 megohms?

agree with Tel....shared neutral....
IR test between em.....that`l find it....
likely to be the up hallway lighting.....
this will be using the down lighting phase....and the upstairs neutral.....
it aint cast in stone that this is where it is.....but likely....

cheers for the replies guys,
Hi trev, I am fairly new to this. I carried out my IR tests on individual circuits so the link between the up and down lights wasn't found until the cu was connected.
Is it normal procedure to IR test between seperate circuits to rule this sort of thing out?

Normally you'd do a few tests first before swapping over the CU. Global IR, test between lighting circuits to identify borrowed neutrals, EFLI etc. This is to make sure there's no nasty surprises waiting for you that will make your shiny new RCD go bang.
Didn't they tell you this?

cheers for the replies guys,
Hi trev, I am fairly new to this. I carried out my IR tests on individual circuits so the link between the up and down lights wasn't found until the cu was connected.
Is it normal procedure to IR test between seperate circuits to rule this sort of thing out?

Yes, after its happened to you a few times!

and a global N-E IR test.

Yes I carried out what I thought to be all the neccessary checks, basically running through the schedule of test results sheet.
ZE, PFC at DB. Earthing type, Continuity, then IR on induvidual circuits.
I thought this was all that was required before a cu change...

sorry if this is frustrating for you guys, but I can't see how a global IR test would indicate that there is a problem between two neutrals as the neutal bar and earth bars are left untouched arent they?

A global IR wouldn't show it but would show up anything IR related that could bite you on the ---. The test between lighting circuits would have shown the borrowed neutral though.

Yes I carried out what I thought to be all the neccessary checks, basically running through the schedule of test results sheet.
ZE, PFC at DB. Earthing type, Continuity, then IR on induvidual circuits.
I thought this was all that was required before a cu change...

sorry if this is frustrating for you guys, but I can't see how a global IR test would indicate that there is a problem between two neutrals as the neutal bar and earth bars are left untouched arent they?
you IR between neutrals on finals......and that certainly would show up anything shared.....
thats why we do it....
its common on older installs.....

There are a couple of points to raise.

The OP said that when the two lighting circuits were swapped to the other RCDs the problem disappeared.
This would indicate a link between one of the lighting circuits and another circuit which is now on the same RCD.

Also, 0.03MΩ which could actually be anything between 0.025 and 0.0349 is not enough on its own to trip a 30mA RCD.
245/25,000Ω (worst case) = 9.8mA

If a neutral is borrowed at the top landing light (most common I've come across), it is normally taken from a bedroom light or whatever nearby - the problem you will have identifying this is that it's only electrical connection to your downstairs circuit is through the landing lamp then down through the phase conductor/switch etc - neutral to neutral test at board may not reveal it unless you ensure that all lamps are in and all switches are closed (P to N tests across circuits also).

Another way to check for this - clamp ammeter on neutral of one circuit (dead) while other circuit is live with all lights on - then vice versa - If you have a suspect current you can turn lights off in turn till you find the culprit.

Last edited by a moderator:
If a neutral is borrowed at the top landing light (most common I've come across), it is normally taken from a bedroom light or whatever nearby - the problem you will have identifying this is that it's only electrical connection to your downstairs circuit is through the landing lamp then down through the phase conductor/switch etc - neutral to neutral test at board may not reveal it unless you ensure that all lamps are in and all switches are closed (P to N tests across circuits also).

Another way to check for this - clamp ammeter on neutral of one circuit (dead) while other circuit is live with all lights on - then vice versa - If you have a suspect current you can turn lights off in turn till you find the culprit.

never tried that. will have to give this method a go sometime. as they say, every day's a schoolday.

Reply to Dual RCD problem (interconnection between lighting circuits?) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net