Discuss Dual socket not working. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

It has been deleted.
It was deleted because it gave inappropriate advice to an unskilled person. Later posts were removed to prevent it still being visible and another due to an insult of another member. Play nice or this will be ended.

"If there was such a fault to an earth wire of course a current would flow ... "

Thank you. That's all I want to read from you. And if that situation occurs the current would be detectable on the earth wire using an AC clamp meter as I proposed. A proposal which, it appears, was sufficently aggregious in your opinion for you to mock me and remove my comment altogether. As for teh "return to MCB" mistake all that would require is a nudge and I would have realised my error, acknowledged it and corrected it. There is certainly no justification to post a comment that my comment on here will lead to people being killed.

Here's a situation.

2.5kW grill that was melting sockets and plugs. Metal grill case. The element was new out of the box. But it turned out to be faulty. The heating core was shorting to the outer sheath of the element which was bolted to the metal casing. The current on the live wire was 18 amps. The current on the neutral wire was 14 amps and the current on the earth wire was 4 amps. Measured using an AC clamp meter. There was no RCD to detect the short. Not enough overload to trip the MCB. But enought to melt the 13 amp socket, the plug and the internal terminal block of the grill over a period of two days. A dangerous situation.
but nota"short circuit" more a fault of finite resistance.

" There is certainly no justification to post a comment that my comment on here will lead to people being killed.
My suggestion that your post was potentially dangerous was the result of your advice on using a doctored extension lead as a suitable means of testing sockets, which you have not repeated in subsequent posts, and I stand by my reply. Your suggested method was dangerous and was rightly removed. My reply did not include anything personally insulting, but I completely accept the reasons given as to why it was deleted, the correct procedure was to report it, not reply.
Enough said, I'm out of this one.

Reply to Dual socket not working. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net