Discuss Earth Bonding on a Submain in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Thanks all, the upshot is..... (a) everyone likes drinking (b) I was a bit silly thinking that a bond was required there (c) the NIC man hadn't thought it through either.
and no I wouldn't have ever bonded a plastic pipe!!!

Cheers all!

An update, went back to site today for something else and the plumber has been at work. The sink as been replaced with a stainless one and its attached to the concrete wall. I repeated a test between the boards earth and the sink and got 700ohms - I'm presuming one of the screws has got the rebar.

So I could put a 6mm conductor between the board and the pipe (which is bigger than the supply conductors) - however this isn't a main protective bonding conductor as its not continuous

The other option is suppose it to stick in an earth rod and go TT but that's a right PITA.

Any thoughts?

An update, went back to site today for something else and the plumber has been at work. The sink as been replaced with a stainless one and its attached to the concrete wall. I repeated a test between the boards earth and the sink and got 700ohms - I'm presuming one of the screws has got the rebar.

So I could put a 6mm conductor between the board and the pipe (which is bigger than the supply conductors) - however this isn't a main protective bonding conductor as its not continuous

The other option is suppose it to stick in an earth rod and go TT but that's a right PITA.

Any thoughts?

Just that I'm glad you did as WP suggested, and tested it, rather than just thinking its fine because you can see a bit of plastic. Nice one.

One reason why you ALWAYS test and never assume that copper pipework after a plastic incomer isn't carrying an extraneous earth potential... Just hook up a pipe clamp to the copper pipe section, you can bet your last pound, it'll be providing better protection than a typical UK TT system will!! lol!!

One reason why you ALWAYS test and never assume that copper pipework after a plastic incomer isn't carrying an extraneous earth potential... Just hook up a pipe clamp to the copper pipe section, you can bet your last pound, it'll be providing better protection than a typical UK TT system will!! lol!!

Unless it was you that put the spikes in :)

Boydy

Reply to Earth Bonding on a Submain in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net