Discuss Earth leakage clamp meter in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
It's the same meter that @pc1966 regularly links.

When I've compared it against the TEK775 and Megger DCM305E, readings have been the same or very close on every occasion.
Having both I can agree with that, it surprised me if I'm honest. Saying that most are rebadges of other models so it was nice to see thr Megger was different.

I'll admit I was a big thick when I got the Megger as I thought "oh this must be how tht IClamp/VClamp features work on the 1700 series....no, no they aren't, tht actual IClamp and VClamp are much more stupidly priced 🤣

Having both I can agree with that, it surprised me if I'm honest. Saying that most are rebadges of other models so it was nice to see thr Megger was different.

I'll admit I was a big thick when I got the Megger as I thought "oh this must be how tht IClamp/VClamp features work on the 1700 series....no, no they aren't, tht actual IClamp and VClamp are much more stupidly priced 🤣

I'd like to have the Megger, but needed one for a specific task at the time and it seemed to be worth a punt. Turned out to be well worth taking a chance on. I'd like a meter that also measures DC leakage, but haven't yet been able to justify the additional cost.

Can I ask how much "additional cost" comes to in euro, s and what particular brand caught your eye.? I also want to get one with the capacity for measuring DC leakage

I can't remember the exact cost, but do recall being taken aback by the vast difference in price between an AC earth leakage clamp meter and one that also measured DC leakage.

I do, however, remember someone recently mentioning a more reasonably priced meter with DC capability.

Why does the technical doc for that farnell item state 60Hz?

That's not a question I'd be qualified to answer - I can record results, but not necessarily explain how a particular device obtains them.

As Multicomp are unlikely to see your question and answer it, perhaps the best we can hope for is that @Lucien Nunes, @marconi or @pc1966 might answer in their stead.

Thanks, @nicebutdim
I don't know either!
But I have to think it might matter...but my technical knowledge is not great!

It may and it may not. I note the Megger DCM305E data sheet mentions both 50 & 60Hz.

Perhaps there is relevance or perhaps the datasheet was initially written with another market in mind. I was simply happy with the figures this displayed and their veracity when compared with two other meters.

Small variations in frequency, say 50Hz versus 60Hz should not make much difference to the accuracy. Very low and the magnetic circuit is unlikely to couple as much current in to the measurement coil, very high and probably the meter's noise filtering is going to also cause it to under-read.

That CPC meter also looks identical to this much more costly branded one:

It may and it may not. I note the Megger DCM305E data sheet mentions both 50 & 60Hz.

Perhaps there is relevance or perhaps the datasheet was initially written with another market in mind. I was simply happy with the figures this displayed and their veracity when compared with two other meters.
My money is simply at it being on thr global market and 50/60Hz being the most common global frequencies, as such advertising it works on both frequencies means it targets a larger audience and not much more fancier reason than that.

Reply to Earth leakage clamp meter in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net