Discuss Earth requirements for TN-S with RCD 30ma main switch in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

I am newly qualified and didn't really cover this scenario.

I am a little unsure, so some advice would be great.

I have an old installation that has a 6mm earth cable from the DNO TN-S to the consumer unit earth bar.

The consumer unit main switch is a combined 100A and 30mA switch.

This does not comply with earthing requirements as the earth cable isn't 16mm.

Is the RCD Main switch sufficient to cover the disconnect

Also there is no supplementary bonding to gas and water extranious conductors, is this also cover by the additional disconnect of the RCD?

Well first off TNS, I personally am too scared to mess with the connection on the sheath of the DNO cable. They are known to explode when tightening it up especially old supplies as when you tighten the earth it can cause the L-N to short. So the DNO would connect a 16mm² to it instead of you. People may tell you otherwise but I would say don't take the chance, let the DNO.
If you did an adiabatic calc you may find 6mm² is adequate however whenever I say this on site 10 other electricians start shouting NO you gotta go by the regs etc.
I am not clear about the Protective/switching devices, a photo speaks a thousand words. Of course you would need to upgrade bonding to services. And extraneous parts is a bit of a tricky area, what is extraneous in the installation? The term "cover the disconnect" is hard to envisage what you are asking there?

Here are a couple of the pics showing DNO and consumer unit.

1477476392882183438564.jpg

1477476464187860003623.jpg

Hi - IMHO the main protective bonding conductors to water and gas are still required. Using 543.1.1, the size of the protective conductor can be selected as 16mm (table 54.7) or calculated from eqn in 543.1.3 . Its possible that 6mm will calculate as OK, depending on house fuse size and prospective fault current. Also a visual check of the 6mm to confirm its not been heat damaged in the past. (But I do feel better with the bigger cable :) )

Edit : just read V's post and seen the pics ... yes, I would get DNO to upgrade if required.

So what are you supposed to do in the installation? Great pics btw. Not to sure about that black tape on the line either, looks very poorly wired.

where does that cable in tern 8 of the earth bar go to? it looks like 10mm main bonding.

Garage to bedroom conversion
Minor work.
My work is to :-
Extend ring to add a couple of sockets and sw spur outlet for electric heaters.
Split single lighting cct to two new rooms individually switched and add smoke and CO2 detectors.

and whoever did that CU "upgrade" wants handcuffing to Diane Abbot.

I'd upgrade the main earth to 16mm. Then 10mm for the supplementary bonding to gas water.
I didn't see a MET so you should drop one in.

I'd upgrade the main earth to 16mm. Then 10mm for the supplementary bonding to gas water.
I didn't see a MET so you should drop one in.

The DNO is due out in a few weeks to change the main earth cable which currently goes straight in to the CU.

I have added a 10mm make bonding to gas services, I can't find the water in Tom the house !!!

Reply to Earth requirements for TN-S with RCD 30ma main switch in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net