Discuss ebay tools in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

robsparky1975

Hi people.i have been looking around for a multifunction tester,had a look on ebay,just want to get some of your views as to steer clear or not,seems to be loads for sale on there,i think i would trust a business seller with loads of feedback,but what about anyone else,would not like to buy something that was pinched off a site by a light fingered git,anyone bought one from there or would not bother,most are not calibrated,so would have to pay for that,but some are in really good nick and hardly used by retired sparks,self employed returning on cards etc,got a bosch 36v sds(proper one not compact)li-ion,for £288 delivered in excellent working used order,from a business seller,do not want pinched goods,whats your thoughts,experiences on it.:rolleyes:

i paid 500 for the metrel 3101 here off ebay brand new great meter and not a bit of trouble i have registered it on the metrel site it came off a business seller on there well happy and saved a premium on the shop price

Wow says on that link its £1100.a bit over my budget,does has anyone bought secondhand testers?worth it or not as long as there in good condition

yeh i had a second hand one when we needed more than one on site. got it off an electrician. well looked after and calibrated with no probs. have a good read of their feedback and how many items they have sold as some only really buy so 100% is not always an indication of their own goods. try to find one close to you so you can go round and pick it up if it`s no good you can then politely say no thanks.

also a bank holiday coming up i have had some real cheap stuff that ends on a bank holiday as no one is in to bid on them

Thanks phil,good advice,i will hang fire till bank holiday,although going to have a look is a bit akward,look where i live lol

:eek: hehe big blushes from that looked before at your location :D my mate lives on the scillys and is having a nightmare with his wholesalers and noting he can do about it but wait as it costs a bomb to get to the mainland

There's a school of thought that says you wouldn't get a decent warranty on ebay. You want a good 2 years on anything you buy, and I'd be looking for three. If they are reputable, you may get a decent one, but it's a bit easy to vanish into the woodwork when you only trade on ebay, that's my belief anyway.
I think I had mine off test meter dot co uk or similar, they seemed to have tidy deals.

got my megger 1553 with leads for £520 ex vat from acutest, brand new with warranty for 3 yrs etc. Have a look at their deals?

:D

good price bud, had mine about 9 months and they seem to still be coming down in price!.....could try megger direct too?!.........def buy new if u can, at least u have some come back on it if it goes ---- up! :D

I've recently purchased a metrel multi function tester. I looked in to buying second hand, looked all over ebay, asked lots of folk, about how and where their item for sale had been used, is it calibrated? who calibarted it when etc etc. Got no replies from any of them.

If you are looking for 2nd hand, speak to the companies that calibrate! They often have machines that they may have repaired or taken in part ex.

in the end i bought from test-meter.co.uk at an open day at the metrel head office in leeds. I got a good enough deal with a pile of extras and lots of helpful advice.

maybe an open day is out of the question for you, but when the likes of test meter are doing open days with special offers i'm sure they would be open to a phonecall on the day for a distance order.

I've recently purchased a metrel multi function tester. I looked in to buying second hand, looked all over ebay, asked lots of folk, about how and where their item for sale had been used, is it calibrated? who calibarted it when etc etc. Got no replies from any of them.

If you are looking for 2nd hand, speak to the companies that calibrate! They often have machines that they may have repaired or taken in part ex.

in the end i bought from test-meter.co.uk at an open day at the metrel head office in leeds. I got a good enough deal with a pile of extras and lots of helpful advice.

maybe an open day is out of the question for you, but when the likes of test meter are doing open days with special offers i'm sure they would be open to a phonecall on the day for a distance order.

great set of lads up there. i got a couple of bits off them in the past and you really feel made welcome. i would recommend them to anyone wanting any tester or test instrument. if you see it at a better price they usually do their best to match it or throw some nice bits in if not.

Got my Transit connect racking off ebay for 16 quid cos the auction ended early on a Monday afternoon. I had to collect it though but only 15 miles away in Halifax:D

Same ex british gas racking is doing 150 to 200 when they end it on a saturday teatime.

my di log came from a polish chap on ebay going home!! had 2 month cal and 2 year warranty on it!! bargain at 300 quid... also came with combi checker still wrapped!!

i paid 500 for the metrel 3101 here off ebay brand new great meter and not a bit of trouble i have registered it on the metrel site it came off a business seller on there well happy and saved a premium on the shop price

I managed to get a brand new, boxed MI3101 off eBay for £210. I have no idea how! I was like a kid at Christmas, the best MFT I have ever used. I have the Metrel demo DVD for this meter, if a spark watched this DVD I guarantee it will make you want to buy one. The customer service at Metrel is the best I have ever had on anything I have ever brought in my life.

I Was thinking about purchasing my first set of "the main three" test equipment from ebay. Had a look at some with reasonable prices but no cert's. Is it worth buying the equipment second hand then getting them calibrated ready for inspection?

I managed to get a brand new, boxed MI3101 off eBay for £210. I have no idea how! I was like a kid at Christmas, the best MFT I have ever used. I have the Metrel demo DVD for this meter, if a spark watched this DVD I guarantee it will make you want to buy one. The customer service at Metrel is the best I have ever had on anything I have ever brought in my life.

£210 jammy man. now thats what i call cheap what a steal well done,

eBay powersellers are usually reliable so you don't have anything to worry. They are very particular with their feedback scores so they won't dare mess with you.

Reply to ebay tools in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net