Discuss EICR and smoke/heat alarms in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
like most i have a glut of EICRs to get through, finding lots of properties with out of date hard wired smoke alarms but they are testing and functioning so i am C3 them, properties without is a C2. when ever i rewire i always install smokes, heat alarm and a carbon monoxide if there is gas in the property.

Big question can you get away with fitting the lithium battery alarms as opposed to hard wiring on remedials? seems to divide opinion.

cheers in advance

I also have had a lot of properties with out of date detectors, this is not something that I have found in bs7671 so have not coded. but stand to be corrected by someone wiser. I have however informed the landlords and all have said replace them so far anyway!
Yes on new installations I will always put in mains with back up but I don't know for sure what the fire regulations actually require, last time I tried to look they just said adequate fire protection and the rest was down to building control and or the fire services requirements.
I know the fire services round by me fit the fire angel 10yr units.
Sy

Just in case someone from Scotland is reading this, FYI the Regulations are different that side of the boarder, don't ask me how I don't know, just know they are different.

Just in case someone from Scotland is reading this, FYI the Regulations are different that side of the boarder, don't ask me how I don't know, just know they are different.
Just the same, Mike.

We only need to mention lack of or out of date detectors. EICR only covers the wiring to the detector.

Ah OK, I thought there was some fundamental difference, like had to be interlinked or had to be hard wired, but you would know better than I.

Ah OK, I thought there was some fundamental difference, like had to be interlinked or had to be hard wired, but you would know better than I.
Well, there is. The now delayed until next year new regs for all houses ask for interlinked, but again, it’s only a possible mention on the EICR.... no codes as such.

and we can use 10yr battery and radiolink that wouldnt need mains power

Some of those supposed 10yr battery life units are only the guarantee of the battery if mains connected, I got caught out by this with a couple of Aico units, they will last about four months without the mains connected, but saying that there are 10yr battery life units available, think manufacturers need to make this a bit clearer in their advertising.

They are, there is a minimum standard set out by the Scottish government in addition to the building regulations, but the major difference is that this applies to ALL properties, not just new-builds or refirb's.

As a result, in every property all the detectors have to be mains powered or 10year life batteries (non-removable), and interlinked.

Again though as mentioned above, this is outwith the remit of an eicr - can't be coded, but could be highlighted to the customer

There is a summary here Fire and smoke alarms: changes to the law - gov.scot - https://www.gov.scot/publications/fire-and-smoke-alarms-in-scottish-homes/

Reply to EICR and smoke/heat alarms in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net