Discuss EICR Classification codes advice in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

trypod

-
Reaction score
On carrying out an EICR on a ground floor flat approximately 30 years old with TN-S earthing, dual tariff board.

What classification would you give if any for the following?

a) Ring main no RCD protection

b) Shower no RCD protection

c) Shower controls tight to turn

d) Socket switches covered in paint (hard to switch on/off)

e) Storage heater case loose / gap

f) Storage heater controls unmarked

All C2 ?

A) C3 unless out doors then C2
B) Again C3 unless no bonding in bathroom then C2
C) Nothing
D) C3 unless there is signs of damge to them caused by the paint then C2
E) C3
F) C3

just done the 17th ammendment and the new codes are really questionable to say the least
c1 - the fault will kill straight away
c2 - req rectifing as soon as
c3 - its ok but .... could do with a upgrade

just done the 17th ammendment and the new codes are really questionable to say the least
c1 - the fault will kill straight away
c2 - req rectifing as soon as
c3 - its ok but .... could do with a upgrade

Once you've got used to the new code system its fairly straight forward.
The old 4 code setup was a nightmare looking back now.

a) Unless the installation is a special location, such as Agricultural/Horticultural, or a Construction/Demolition site, then no code, as there is no requirement in BS7671 for a RFC to have RCD protection.
Lack of RCD protection for socket-outlets used to supply mobile equipment outdoors, would warrent a code C2.
Lack of RCD protection for socket-outlets intended for general use by ordinary persons would warrent a code C3.
Lack of RCD protection for cables concealed in walls (if applicable) would warrent a code C3.
b) Code C3, but the observation would be: "Lack of RCD protection for circuits of a location containing a bath or shower."
c) No code.
d) No code.
e) would depend on where the 3mm gap is. If on the top surface(IP4X), Code C2, if on the sides or underneath (IP2X) no code.
f) No code.

a) C3
b) C3 if All circuits and conductive parts are bonded or less then 0.05 between them. c2 if not.
c)no code
d) no code unless it affects their operation that badly
e) I would only code if you could reach live parts, although i would probably put an observation down
f)no code

After intense whinging about the new coding system before it came in, I have decided it is actually better then the old one as in more straightforward.

So it's not just me who likes the new coding system. I did keep quiet but now I might as well come out of the closet as being a three code lover... :lol:

No point adding to the OP as it's been covered.

Me too, less thinking involved!

Deninitely, as long as the inspector can the difference between immediate and a potential of danger. I can still see many slapping a C1 to defects that really warrant a C2 though now we have a situation that makes an EICR with a single C2 unsatisfactory so maybe not such an issue.

Deninitely, as long as the inspector can the difference between immediate and a potential of danger. I can still see many slapping a C1 to defects that really warrant a C2 though now we have a situation that makes an EICR with a single C2 unsatisfactory so maybe not such an issue.

I've already seen reports with code 1's given to missing grommets :-/

I've already seen reports with code 1's given to missing grommets :-/

A colleague used to love awarding that 'defect' as a Code 2 in old money, even though the sheath of a T&E cable passed through the hole and the sunken backbox and cable aren't likely to move much!

A colleague used to love awarding that 'defect' as a Code 2 in old money, even though the sheath of a T&E cable passed through the hole and the sunken backbox and cable aren't likely to move much!

There are 2 types of electrical inspector in this world...........

Those that take a wider common sense view of whether an installation is overall safe...
And those that see it as an opportunity to write out shopping lists of crappy little defects that make no odds.
;-)

Storage heater case loose, are live parts accessible?

I would go C3 because it has now't to do with the EICR, but we have a duty of care to bring it to someones attention. This actually falls under In service Inspection and test of electrical equipment aka Pat Testing, as it is not part of the fixed installation.

Cheers................Howard

There's not many portable storage heaters. They weigh a bloody ton!
Also they're normally permanently wired in and not connected via a plug top so can be commented on or defects noted on an EICR.

The last domestic PIR i did had storage heaters that were permanently connected to the supply.
I considered them part of the fixed wiring and inspected them accordingly.

Reply to EICR Classification codes advice in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net