Discuss EICR meter tails coding in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Morning fellas,

Just a quick question if you don't mind,
Doing a EICR and came across what looks like 6mm tails from the meter to the rcd,
iv never seen tails thats small before,
the dno fuse is 60a and its a tt system.

What code would you use please,
Many thanks :)

14964202_10157679890835597_1027030161_o.jpg

14964202_10157679890835597_1027030161_o.jpg

6mm single core cables can take 47A clipped direct, Mr Nicholas, so with a 60A main fuse I'd be inclined to say a C2 because it could be dangerous with a large load. However, I'm still learning in this game so I'd see what others say too.

Also, pretty sure there's some argument out there that tails can have a CCC less than the main fuse provided the maximum demand of the property isn't going to pull more than the tails can handle.

6mm single core cables can take 47A clipped direct, Mr Nicholas, so with a 60A main fuse I'd be inclined to say a C2 because it could be dangerous with a large load. However, I'm still learning in this game so I'd see what others say too.

Also, pretty sure there's some argument out there that tails can have a CCC less than the main fuse provided the maximum demand of the property isn't going to pull more than the tails can handle.

Cheers fella,
Much appreciated, i was thinking on the same lines as you but was doubting myself.

those tails are at least 10mm. if they show no signs of thermal damage, then a C3 at worst,unless the loadof the installation has increased above what it has been for years.

Just to throw a spanner in the works but the meter tails are technically owned by the supplier so a c2'isn't really appears as you can't fix them.

A note on the cert imho

Just to throw a spanner in the works but the meter tails are technically owned by the supplier so a c2'isn't really appears as you can't fix them.

A note on the cert imho

I've never really gained clarity on what the correct procedure is with the first section of the EICR that deals with distributor's and supplier's equipment.
Code it until it's fixed by others ?
Ignore it as it is not within the remit of BS7671 ?
Make up your own system for this section ?

I've never had to code anything in section 1 as it has nearly always been fine. Where it has not been fine I've made the call and it's been fixed within the day.

I agree with Tel they look at least 10.0, you really need to know the csa for you to Code it.

Yeh and the cables going out seem to go up to 16mm² and what about that 100ma RCCO? Is it a TT system? And of course there is always the assessment of whether the cable is heat damaged which it looks like it is. So dangerous.

Last edited by a moderator:
The meter to CCU maybe the consumers but you can't change them without breaking the meter seals so isn't it a supplier responsibility. I'd agree they look like 10mm You need to measure the diameter to have a better idea on the internal CSA.

Maybe the meter to RCD tails are the actual fuses!

Meter tails yes, but OP means consumer unit tails which are the belonging of the consumer.

Not sure I agree with you. The tails from the meter are sealed to the meter, and breaking the meter seals could cause problems..........

So you C2 them, the supplier won't upgrade them, and the client needs a "satisfactory" - what do you do then?

For me section 1 is purely for information..... unless its ACTUALLY dangerous

And its reasonable to look at the lack of overheating damage as an indication that its been satisfactory to date. As long as the loading isn't being increased then the risk isn't any more than its been so far.

That's nothing, when I moved into our current house 18 years ago the tails from meter to CU was actually 4mm twin and earth.
Soon had the seals snipped, fuse out and new tails installed along with an isolator between the two. However I have to say the T&E showed no sign of heat damage.
And on OP's installation looks like meter seals have already been snipped.

A note on the cert imho
Tails out going are supplied by the contractor. But they are connected.!Look at least 10mm maybe 16mm my eyes aint good.

Thanks guys for all your replies, my bad they were 10mm after i checked,
I'm still pretty new to doing ECIR's so don't be to hard on me, iv yet to come across tails that small in my journeys.
the installation has already failed on numerous faults,

I'm still pretty new to doing ECIR's so don't be to hard on me, iv yet to come across tails that small in my journeys.

An EICR is satisfactory or unsatisfactory - there is no pass or fail!

Can you give us some examples?

Reply to EICR meter tails coding in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net