Discuss Eicr recommended next test date 3 years due to plastic CU? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

vcl00e

DIY
Reaction score
Hello, I had an eicr done in 2021and it passed with four C3 items. They recommend next test date to be in 3 years instead of 5 on the certificate but did not specify a reason. I emailed them to ask and they said it was because consumer unit's enclosure is not fire-rated, there are also some other recommendations that you can find on page 2 of the report.

Is this fair and required by legislation or can I still use the eicr for 5 years?

Ive pasted the C3 items below. There were no other items .
4.3 Condition of enclosure(s) in terms of IP rating - is recommended for improvement C3
2 4.4 Condition of enclosure(s) in terms of fire rating - is recommended for improvement C3
3 4.11 a)Presence of appropriate circuit charts, warning and other notices: a) Provision of circuit charts/schedules or equivalent forms of information C3
4 20Amp MCB has been tripled up by 2.5mm radial circuits for ceiling heating - is recommended for improvement C3

Many thanks!

It all depends on the persons who is testing it's only a recommendation Next test date, is your property rented out or commercial.
Hello thanks for your help!

It is rented out as a home. The council required a new selective license which a valid EICR is one of the requirements. The legislation says it needs to be done at least every 5 years so I wasn't sure if that 3 year recommendation on the EICR requires me to do another EICR early.

It is rented out as a home. The council required a new selective license which a valid EICR is one of the requirements. The legislation says it needs to be done at least every 5 years so I wasn't sure if that 3 year recommendation on the EICR requires me to do another EICR early.
Has above, it's only what he sees a recommendation. If you have bad tenant
They might do more damage to accessories plus other.

Is this fair and required by legislation or can I still use the eicr for 5 years?
No, if the previous inspector recommended re-testing in 3 years that is how long that EICR is valid for.
The installation will need to be re-inspected after 3years.
The maximum interval between inspections/reports is 5years for a rental property (not a mandatory 5 year inspection) but if for whatever reason the inspector thinks that the installation is poor or likely to suffer damage (bad tenants as previously suggested) the inspector can recommend a re-inspection at 1,2,3 upto 5 year intervals.

No, if the previous inspector recommended re-testing in 3 years that is how long that EICR is valid for.
The installation will need to be re-inspected after 3years.
The maximum interval between inspections/reports is 5years for a rental property (not a mandatory 5 year inspection) but if for whatever reason the inspector thinks that the installation is poor or likely to suffer damage (bad tenants as previously suggested) the inspector can recommend a re-inspection at 1,2,3 upto 5 year intervals.
The legislation just states at least every 5 years

Thank you everyone. Just wanted to share - I asked the company that provided the EICR and this is what they said

"our certificate is valid until 14/02/2024 and after this date, the certificate will be invalid, so, you need to carry out a new one before the expiry date."

The government requires you to have an EICR carried out 'at least' every five years. Meaning if the electrician deems it necessary to have one in three years then you have to have one in three years, otherwise your property will not have a satisfactory report for the following two years that you wish to wait.

Have you had the original C3's rectified? If not you may only get another 3year EICR or may even be C2's now which will force your hand.
Thanks yeah maybe I should ask them before I schedule the visit.

But it's crazy to think we have to throw out those plastic CUs I got mine new just before the legislation changed to metal :( Why would a plastic CU even need to be inspected more frequently...

Do you think it's worth getting another company to do the certificate? Some of those C3's asking for things I've never seen before like this one:

"a)Presence of appropriate circuit charts, warning and other notices: a) Provision of circuit charts/schedules or equivalent forms of information"

As we inspect to current/latest regulations (18th Amd2) which states something like, that consumer units in a domestic installation shall be constructed of a 'non combustible material', a plastic one will therefore always be considered a non-compliance and will almost certainly be coded a C3, but agreed its not a reason to have to replace it.

Equally lack of labelling, circuit charts, warning notices [e.g. Reg 514.1.1] etc are also considered a non-compliance and 9 time out of 10 the inspector will recommend an improvement (C3)

As others have said none of the items listed in the original post give immediate concern that warrant a 3year re-inspection interval.

Reply to Eicr recommended next test date 3 years due to plastic CU? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net