Discuss EICR test (failed apparently) but no report in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I paid an electrician for an EICR test - two of his men took 3-4hrs to do the test. This was on 28/04. He since told me that the test failed and that the house needs a rewire. Its been 2 months - me calling him and requesting a report for the failed test. but he is now ignoring my partnr and my calls...
One other point - he asked if i pay in cash i wouldnt have to pay VAT. Whihc I did.
I would love some advise. I am baffled why h wouldnt want tto give a report if he has done the work.
PS:
I found him on Checkatrade after seeing a recco on Nextdoor

An EICR doesn't fail it is either satisfactory or unsatisfactory. The end product of an EICR is the Report and it is a requirement to provide you with a copy and this should outline any issues with the installation. Checkatrade holds little value it sounds like you have been scammed. How much did you pay.

An EICR doesn't fail it is either satisfactory or unsatisfactory. The end product of an EICR is the Report and it is a requirement to provide you with a copy and this should outline any issues with the installation. Checkatrade holds little value it sounds like you have been scammed. How much did you pay.
ÂŁ250. Is there anything I can do? Can I check why he would come spend time on the property and not prouce a report? Surely chekcig everythng is the more time intensive task. Is not writing a report wortth a bad review ( even on checkatrade)? i really appreciate your feedback.

Also, would love to kow how to avoid in the future. should i have not paid till i got a report?

Unfortunately, he could just produce a made up report if you shout loud enough.

As mentioned on numerous other threads, you don’t need to use the company that did the report, to do the remedials.

Tell them you need the report so you can ask other companies to quote for the work.

Advice trying Citizens Advice, and contact your bank. They might be able to reverse the payment.

Unfortunately, he could just produce a made up report if you shout loud enough.

As mentioned on numerous other threads, you don’t need to use the company that did the report, to do the remedials.

Tell them you need the report so you can ask other companies to quote for the work.

Advice trying Citizens Advice, and contact your bank. They might be able to reverse the payment.
Thanks. Thats exactly why I wanted to report - else i have paid ÂŁ200 for him to tell me i need a rewiring?!

Can I check why he wouldnt just give me a propoer report? To me the 3-4 hrs of chkcing the property is already done! Will never pay cash again!

Do tradepeople not care about checkatrade review? He has a 9.4 on it!!

Do tradepeople not care about checkatrade review? He has a 9.4 on it!!

Very hard to comment without sounding slanderous... but here goes.

If i were to run one of these types of businesses.... where i didnt do any work myself and really only introduced customers to tradespeople.... i would likely weed out and delete any negative comments about these (paying) clients... the tradespeople... so it sounded like i have a very good judge of character and only deal with honest people.

I would also find it quite easy to fabricate some good reviews on other sites, such as Nextdoor.

A final comment.
The Checkatrade jingle on the advert is part of the William Tell Overture.... also known as the theme to the Lone Ranger......
A literal cowboy!

Do you have any written contract, even a text message, saying they would do this job? An invoice, and a receipt of payment?

The report is the job. The job is not complete until you get the report. No money should have been paid until the job was complete.
Sometimes a watermarked report is produced first, and the final copy given after payment.

Any of these things would point at him breaking the contract, and you would have legal means to get money back... but it appears not.

With London prices, i'm surprised you've lost so little. 2 guys for 3-4 hours could have been double that, easy.

ÂŁ250. Is there anything I can do? Can I check why he would come spend time on the property and not prouce a report? Surely chekcig everythng is the more time intensive task. Is not writing a report wortth a bad review ( even on checkatrade)? i really appreciate your feedback.
I'm afraid to say they were solely interested in either quoting for a new consumer unit or a rewire without producing a Report, they are scammers. As above go to Citizens Advice. If you still have contact details tell them you are taking legal advice however if you have no contract then you probably don't have a cause.

Reactions: DPG
It could be there is some other reason for not sending the report, for example they lost the measurements (assuming they did actually make some, but it is hard to know how you'd spend 3 to 4 hours and not have). Was it the actual electrician who visited, or did he subcontract to someone who didn't deliver any results.

I know plenty of cases where there is no report after an EICR, just a statement like needs new fuse box or needs rewire, but in these cases, the 'electrician' is usually on site for minutes rather than hours.

The only thing I can think of is that if you were told paid cash (to avoid the VAT), the trader might be concerned to find out you were going to query this with HMRC.

Reply to EICR test (failed apparently) but no report in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net