Discuss Eicr & vir in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

the pict

-
Mentor
Reaction score
Suppose you went to do a report and the distribution board was a 60,s MEM metal box so you yank of the cover and find the whole house is still VIR, the shower is in 4mm T&E out of a 45A wired with a bit of 2.5 copper, Me, I replaced the copper wire with the correct fuse wire put the lid on, phoned the owner and told him as far as letting the place I wouldn,t risk untill the whole house is re-wired, his repaonse was, " But its been ok for years" and all but accused me of padding the job out, I have a good mind to phone the local HSE I might end up doing so if I see the place occupied, so chaps what would you do,
Pict

Agreed how can you say a rewire is required without testing, you were after all there to undertake an eicr.

Me I would have undertaken the testing until I found the first bit of crumbly vir, the copper wire as a fuse I would have done the same as you and replaced with correctly rated fuse wire.
Wouldn't have rung the landlord, but would have put a disclaimer letter in with remedials quote & report, stating that vir is past the best years of its working life & consideration should be given to replacing at the earliest opportunity.

Agreed how can you say a rewire is required without testing, you were after all there to undertake an eicr.

Me I would have undertaken the testing until I found the first bit of crumbly vir, the copper wire as a fuse I would have done the same as you and replaced with correctly rated fuse wire.
Wouldn't have rung the landlord, but would have put a disclaimer letter in with remedials quote & report, stating that vir is past the best years of its working life & consideration should be given to replacing at the earliest opportunity.

i agree, you've been asked to do a EICR so you do one. That's the point of it.
if the cables rotten and dangerous to sample or test then you have to put it in the limitations.
i would expect he lighting as no cpc but you change your zs to zn and r1 + rn.
youve got the codes to let the customer know the dangers.
if he doesn't want to do the remedial works that's his perogative but you have done your bit.

IMO you should of completed the periodic and then documented your findings on the EICR along with a covering letter and photos. To be fair he has asked for a EICR and if it comes back with code 2's or even 1's then he is issued a unsatisfactory report and if necessary issue a danger notice along with the report!

Point taken, However in my experience even disturbing vir cable can render the entire circuit unusable I have had entire lengths of insulation come away in my hand with the "well it was ok till you touched it" attitude no I am affraid I must stick to my guns on this my decision to class this job a
unsuitable for testing without a clear go ahead from the client after a full explanation of why, I have since posting emailed the guy with a complete and unequivocal statement that the entire installation is unsafe and unfit for purpose
Pict

I went to look at a job a while back, 1950's house - so I took the CU cover off and immediately noticed all the insulation within the CU was cracked and I declined to quote for the "minor" works!

Well IMHO if carrying out the EICR is likely to make the installation less safe than it was to begin with then you should not proceed with it.

It's a tricky one which is probably why you posted the question on an electricians advice forum :)

The best placed person to make the call is you as you are the only one of us who has actually seen the install.
I'm inclined to agree that the best thing to to with VIR sometimes is just to walk away before you turn it into a bigger mess than it already is.

VIR in a damp and mouse ridden old croft house can be right can of worms.

I wish you the best of luck whatever you decide to do.

Reply to Eicr & vir in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net