Discuss Eicr who wants them in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

cliffed

-
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Our Company’s raising the cost of an EICR, basically they don’t want them.
I can see their point too, its the remedial work, it’s such a pain & not that profitable.
How many times have you come away & wondered if you’ve missed something, should of been a complete rewire, & then the remedial work to correct it.
These jobs are so fiddly especially in a domestic rented properties, drives me mad.
Your not going to be 100% on the outcome anyway, I’ve done plenty & to be honest never enjoyed them.

It is of course an option to offer eicr reports but not quote for any remedial work.

i Must admit if you can charge a decent hourly / by circuit rate they can be good income spinners. £50-60 per hour of £45 per circuit Is a nice profitable days work ?
quote high on the remedial work so if you get it then it’s good money , if you don’t then you still made a good days money just on the eicr.
the people I don’t get is these £60 eicr crews who rely solely on the plethora of remedials to make a profit out the job...

Seems like EICRs are all I'm doing right now, and I'm starting to think the same way. Possibly instead of trying to price each one based on how long I think it will take, I'll move more towards half or whole days.
You should treat an EICR reamidals work when you can. like a hosipital job and go back to finish them. And make more monies then trying to rush them to finish it off, if the work was done properly they would not have a unsatisfactory result.

Agree & yes there are some cheap rates out there, it’s definitely not a job you can go home feeling Satisfactory, pardon the pun.

I rather enjoy them, but then again I probably only do 3 or 4 per month so I am not bored with them. Apart from fault finding, when else do you get to just play with the electrics and get paid for it ?.

Saying that, I did two in one day once and I didn't enjoy the second one!

@cliffed , it wouldn't surprise me if you didn't see much of a drop in the demand for your EICR services even though you raise your prices. Sound like people are desperate for them.

Got spanked off by another electrician for EICR yesterday. Mine was £250 and £175 for two different properties owned by LL. They know an electrician that will do them £50 each. I am not and wont compete/ing with that!
Yeah good luck with that.

Having like I guess many of us been quite busy with EICRs recently has drawn my attention to just how widespread really poor workmanship is in this country. I had my "remote assessment" from the niceic the other day and he mentioned the mandatory increase in indemnity cover, ironically I had 500k because I wasn't happy with the 100k standard (but lost it last time I renewed because it was too much effort for the agent (nics own cover)), purely because of the widespread terrible standard of installs I'm meddling with regularly

Looking into moving to oz now... Despite being in my 40s and quite experienced ill have to be an "improver" for a year... Annoying but at least they police the whole industry, not just the ones who choose to comply!

Got spanked off by another electrician for EICR yesterday. Mine was £250 and £175 for two different properties owned by LL. They know an electrician that will do them £50 each. I am not and wont compete/ing with that!
£250 bout the right price, also after all that & waiting for an acceptance of the cost of remedials...you then have 28 days to do the works,I do believe or get a right telling of by those in higher status than you.

Yeah good luck with that.

Having like I guess many of us been quite busy with EICRs recently has drawn my attention to just how widespread really poor workmanship is in this country. I had my "remote assessment" from the niceic the other day and he mentioned the mandatory increase in indemnity cover, ironically I had 500k because I wasn't happy with the 100k standard (but lost it last time I renewed because it was too much effort for the agent (nics own cover)), purely because of the widespread terrible standard of installs I'm meddling with regularly

Looking into moving to oz now... Despite being in my 40s and quite experienced ill have to be an "improver" for a year... Annoying but at least they police the whole industry, not just the ones who choose to comply!
Spot on there poor workmanship throughout our industry especially in the domestic areas.
Bring back Clerk of Works .

Reply to Eicr who wants them in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net