Discuss Elecsa not recognised by local council in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Sav

Hi all,
hope your well.

Ok, here goes.
Done a periodic on a terraced house in North London. All ok, fitted new flourescent light in kitchen as per councils instructions and replaced broken socket.

Got a call from customer that the council officer (whos name for the love of God I cannot pronounce without help), said that Harringey Council only accepts NICEIC certificates for any work undertaken.
Its too late to call Elecsa, but I will first thing in the morning, but have any of you come accross this with any other councils or agents etc. I have issued PIR's before to other councils with no problem and I remember Elecsa saying if a problem like this came up, they could deal with it. Is that the case??
Just some reasurrance I suppose.
Take care ,
Sav

Hi all,
hope your well.

Ok, here goes.
Done a periodic on a terraced house in North London. All ok, fitted new flourescent light in kitchen as per councils instructions and replaced broken socket.

Got a call from customer that the council officer (whos name for the love of God I cannot pronounce without help), said that Harringey Council only accepts NICEIC certificates for any work undertaken.
Its too late to call Elecsa, but I will first thing in the morning, but have any of you come accross this with any other councils or agents etc. I have issued PIR's before to other councils with no problem and I remember Elecsa saying if a problem like this came up, they could deal with it. Is that the case??
Just some reasurrance I suppose.
Take care ,
Sav

If the council is the client then they have every right to use whoever they see fit to carry out the work, the problem is, most of the time, they make that choice through ignorance rather than informed choice.

I'm sure ELECSA will take this matter up for you.

i currently rent a flat out to haringey council and their paperwork did specifically ask for NICEIC and Gas Safe Certificates. but i never questioned whether elecsa was acceptable.

Councils are full of numpties who have a wee bit of information and THATS THE WAY WE WANT IT so NICEIC being best known and best promoted are choice of councils it also saves them checking ELESCA and others they just say NICEIC

Spot on IQ. BCO around here are fine with ELECSA but if any council work needs doing they want NICEIC registered folk for preference.

I still say the other schemes should divert some of the members money towards advertisments other than in electrical trades magazines, then the public etc. might become familiar with NAPIT, ELECSA etc.

I know it's fashionable to slag off the NICEIC but at least they get the odd celebrity (and Linda Barker) and place adverts in homemaker, Ideal Home, Homes & Garden etc. etc. so the public etc. become familiar with the logo and concept.

Would it be possible for your field officer and ELECSA to to talk to the LA with a view to getting ELECSA on the approved contractors list.
I had the same with Napit and Birmingham Uni,.
Education of the council, that's what is required.

Although I am with Napit, if the NICEIC where abit more human I would choose them over the other 2 anyday of the week. Only for the terms of Notoriety. People do lose work because they are not a member of the NICEIC. Thats why I have a whole page dedicated to the schemes on my website, pointing customers in the direction of Napit and what they do. Some people just aren't aware of any other schemes.

I know people on Elecsa but if someone had told me that 12 months ago I would have laughed them off site, I'd never heard of them.

This type of ignorant crap irritates me no end.
Is this the council that is run by a committee of lesbians
When will these morons get educated :(

Let us know how you get on Sav,perhaps we can bombard the morons with facts of electrical life,make a nuisance of ourselves

The ignorant morons, can as stated, stipulate whoever they wish unfortunately

at the end of the day it should not matter who you are regestered with , qualified regestered then should be accepted , im not going to slag off the NIC they are just like all the others , tad more expensive , the only real reason why they are so popular is because they have been around the longest ( if im not mistaken ) and its a nome people recognise , means absolutly nothing mind its just a name , ive had certs refused , and the client had to get some one else in who was regestered and as my certificate said the installation was spot on so double money she had to pay , but i will say if you ring Elecsa up they will sort it out

I am just starting out on my own, and had made up my mind to go with elecsa, but after reading this I am now not sure. I have got work lined up with a local builder, who rents out to LA, now am wondering if my elecsa certs will be ok, Think a call to the LA will needed in the morning.

If you join the Niceic as domestic installer,they dont cover you for periodics
For installation work it makes no difference who you join,it does for periodics

Elecsa don't cover your for periodics either if you're a basic DI.
You can progress to it with the required qualifications etc. though.

I was always a very strong supporter of the NIC however of late they seem to be more concerned with there profit margins than the Inspection council they once were , I have recently carried out work on installations carried out by approved contractors 1 was all trunking and greggs nice job apart from the fact the ceiling was taped and jointed and not one of greggs ( klicks, ) was accessable
The second again taped and jointed ceiling had a ring of 6491B taken out of a 20mm hole in tthe trunking unprotected for a length of 15m before it disappeared down a 20mm drop not what you'd call professional!

After reading all the moans and groans about acceptance of this scheme, over that scheme, just reinforces my believe in having a National Registry of Electricians. Wouldn't be a need for any of these scheme providers then, as the LA's would have to accept documents presented to them by a Registered Electrician... And more importantly the National Registered Electrician would be responsible to that body. That body, wouldn't be more interested in yearly subscriptions numbers over competence either!!! ...lol!!!

This type of ignorant crap irritates me no end.
Is this the council that is run by a committee of lesbians
When will these morons get educated :(

Let us know how you get on Sav,perhaps we can bombard the morons with facts of electrical life,make a nuisance of ourselves

The ignorant morons, can as stated, stipulate whoever they wish unfortunately

Or whoever gives the biggest backhander ???

("Every man has his price & they don't come much cheaper than a council official" - as my late Old Man used to say)

Reply to Elecsa not recognised by local council in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net