Discuss Electric boilers in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

aes2011

Has anyone worked on or installed electric boilers before and if so, do you know what is involved with servicing electric boilers? Is this a sparkys job?

To answer the question, I've installed a couple of electric boilers, but they aren't very popular due to high running costs. I would happily 'service' one, but they don't need servicing in the same way as gas boilers. Gas boilers need servicing (essentially cleaning and checking that it is not going to spew out carbon monoxide) but electric boilers don't have the same safety concerns.

I would suggest they get serviced yearly both electrically and the wet side of the system valves pumps leaks and inhibitor levels signs of over heating of supply cables. Also to consider is if an electric shower is installed along with cooking and heavy load appliances this can have a potential to over load incoming supply. Although some devices are available to resolve some of these issues.

Are you meaning household hot water cylinders or commercial pressure vessles? Where I am located we need a special license and insurance to maintain pressurised commercial boilers and steam generator cylinders.

Theres lots of different types - which type are you thinking of , domestic / commercial / industrial ? generally if working leave alone but if a high capacity unvented cylinder it definitely needs a maintenance plan.

There was me thinking it was one of those Burco things wot ye boil water in for making tea in the site cabin.

I'm not sure what he means, 'electric boilers' isn't much of a description. He might well be talking about a tea urn in a site cabin for all I know.

If i am right i think you mean the ones that are in place of a boiler in the system , for the life of me i can not think of the manufactures name at the moment but i do have a 9kw one sitting out in the barn so will have a look if i remember tomorrow .

They are about 1.20m or so tall and 10 - 15 cm square and have a bank of elements running through them with just a 22mm copper pipe stub for connecting to at the top and bottom .

If it is one of these i seem to remember that when i brought it some 10 or 12 years ago , they were sold as having the benefit of the fact of never needing to be serviced ?

As for being uneconomical , it was in a mobile home and although it was only meant to cost around £5 a week to run i remember it costing up to £65 per week through the cold snaps !!!

Electric Heating Company Glasgow ? We put one in where the Gas had to be cut off as tenant was threatening to blow up block lol - Hey tea urns are mega important !

I'm not sure what he means, 'electric boilers' isn't much of a description. He might well be talking about a tea urn in a site cabin for all I know.

"Hello Marvo",

Sorry if I misunderstood your comments / You were Joking.

I think that the OP means Electric Central Heating `Boilers`.

As You would imagine these are fairly `Low Output` Electrical Appliances regarding their Output to the Heating System - for example 11 KW Output and they are usually installed where there is no Mains Gas - although some People have other reasons to want one of these Appliances.

Recently they have been advertised as `Safer than Gas Boilers` as there is no `Products of Combustion` [Flue Gases] and no possibility of Carbon Monoxide production.

They are noted to be `Energy Efficient` because all of the Heat produced goes into the Heating System Water - there is no Flue where Heat can escape.

BUT - they are more expensive to run than a Gas Boiler which was producing the same Outputs to Water.

They are also stated to not require as much `Servicing`/ Maintenance as a Gas Appliance - BUT - I would definitely recommend a Yearly Electrical Inspection - as I am sure would all of the Professional Electricians and Electrical Engineers who are Members of the Forum.

Regards,

Chris - Heating Engineer

I installed 1no 9kw and 1no 6kw heater stadia with relay linking kit etc I. Place of old gas boiler late last yeAr. Had to get new cable from street to upgrade 60a cutout to 100a first. Cost quite a bit but customer not want gas for safety. Not sure what his bills will be. I did try explaining they were not going to be cheap to run. Instructions said no serviceable parts in the heaters. Wet system cleansed and flushed and then fernox inhibitor when refilled so I suppose to leave alone

e

Reply to Electric boilers in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net