Discuss Electric Certificate in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Corky1970

DIY
Reaction score
Hi - I had a shed built at the end of my garden mainly for storage and to house my dryer for use in winter months. The electrician installed some lights and two sets of double sockets. The electricity supply is connected to the main house supply and has an isolator switch inside the shed door. I have an electric certificate for the house - the work which he also completed in 2019. Do I need a separate certificate for the installation of the supply in the shed or is it covered by the house certificate as it is connected to it to it?

If it was done at the same time, it should be covered by the house cert.... is it mentioned on the circuit chart?
Hi and thank you ? The house was done in 2019 and I got the cert shortly after the work was complete. The shed only got done last August/September so doubt it shows on cert. Will dig out the cert and see what it says.

There are two usual possibilities for the shed supply -
it will either be fed from a circuit on the house consumer unit
or there will be an separate isolator near the electricity meter to isolate the shed.
Do you know which?
If the former, the shed should be listed on the list of circuits towards the end of the certificate if the certificate covers it.
(As post #2 mentioned)

There are two usual possibilities for the shed supply -
it will either be fed from a circuit on the house consumer unit
or there will be an separate isolator near the electricity meter to isolate the shed.
Do you know which?
If the former, the shed should be listed on the list of circuits towards the end of the certificate if the certificate covers it.
(As post #2 mentioned)
The isolator switch is actually in the shed but it is not listed on the schedule of circuits so will call the electrician! Thanks for your help ?

Good morning Mike - the supply to the shed is via a thick black cable which attaches to some outside plug sockets and next to the socket box is another fused boxed. I would send a pic but cannot get the attach files button to work ?

Good morning Mike - the supply to the shed is via a thick black cable which attaches to some outside plug sockets and next to the socket box is another fused boxed. I would send a pic but cannot get the attach files button to work ?

Was the external socket original with the house? Then this is a modification to an existing circuit.... should still have a minor works cert.
Yes the external socket was installed with the total rewire of the house. So just a minor work cert should suffice then - many thanks ?

Does that thick black cable have a plug attached to it the goes into the external socket, if so its technically an extension lead and does not require a test certificate.

Hi Mike - no plug attached at the end of the cable, it seems to go into the back of the double plug socket and then connects over to the second smaller fused box with a switch to turn off the power to the shed from the back of the house if needed.

Does that thick black cable have a plug attached to it the goes into the external socket, if so its technically an extension lead and does not require a test certificate.

Attachments

• Electrics.jpg
    380.6 KB · Views: 14
Just to make it clear, the double socket was existing. Power then goes through the switch fuse to the left, goes back into the socket box and exits onto the black armoured cable.

Would the mastic that has been applied/squirted onto the top of the adjoining switch fuse and double socket be sufficient to maintain the IP rating? I suppose it all accords how the cable has been waterproofed between the two.

Reply to Electric Certificate in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net