Discuss Electric towel warmer in small downstairs loo (ex pantry) in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

marconi

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
My wife wants a towel warmer in our small downstairs loo. The loo was once a small pantry. It is about the size of a telephone box, toilet in front, door behind, small sink to the left and wall to the right. When I stand in there for a pee, my bum is 6 inches from the door, the right wall 6 inches away and the edge of the sink 6 inches away. The smallest railed towel warmer she wants would fit nicely along the right wall (so along my right leg between ankle and mid thigh).

Is such an installation allowed? I am not clear whether wet room/bathroom zones apply in this situation. When I research on-line I never see or read about toilets and their proximity to electrical equipment and fittings.

Our home is updated to 17th edition, properly bonded, and I have an EICR which is satisfactory in all respects.

(My worry comes from a Navy dockyard horror story. A sailor was returning to his ship and needed a pee. To avoid being seen he went behind a shore-to ship power connection box. One of the 3 phase 440V 60Hz cables (they were run as singles in this case) had a small defect in its insulation, hard to see with the eye, and he was unfortunate enough to pee on it. The pictures of his injuries were horrifying and used, with his permission to warn other sailors of the dangers. A minor distraction but perhaps of interest. I admire it when folk in the EF remind people that electricity can be very dangerous and death or injury happens in an instant. )

Reply to Electric towel warmer in small downstairs loo (ex pantry) in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net