Discuss Electrical certificates and registering in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I have just had my house re-wired and the electrician is coming tomorrow to complete the testing and provide the certificate and register the work - he is AM2 qualified - 18th edition and test (have seen no evidence) - have been informed by the company he works for, he will register the work using his brothers registration - is this allowable?

You should be receiving a certificate from the company that invoices you.

the Company that is invoicing you, can use a subcontractor to do the work.
it is down to them to check that what they are providing and invoicing you for is a genuine product or service.
if you suspect that it is not, your first point of complaint is with them.
your contract is with the management company.

the Company that is invoicing you, can use a subcontractor to do the work.
it is down to them to check that what they are providing and invoicing you for is a genuine product or service.
if you suspect that it is not, your first point of complaint is with them.
your contract is with the management company.
The work has been completed - the question is can the electrician provide a certificate and register the work using his brothers registration - his brother has not been on site or verified the work

Hard to tell, he could have been working for his brother.
when you receive the certificate, if you are concerned that it is not genuine, your complaint is with the company that haS invoiced you.

Hard to tell, he could have been working for his brother.
when you receive the certificate, if you are concerned that it is not genuine, your complaint is with the company that haS invoiced you.
message received from the director of the company - M is a qualified electrician and works under his Brothers registration and this has always worked fine for 100% of other customers - however his brother has never been on site or supervised the work

message received from the director of the company - M is a qualified electrician and works under his Brothers registration and this has always worked fine for 100% of other customers - however his brother has never been on site or supervised the work
The brother is not registered - the company (presumably the brother's company) is. So the question is whether the company which carried out the work is the same company which certified it (assuming single signature certificate).

The brother is not registered - the company (presumably the brother's company) is. So the question is whether the company which carried out the work is the same company which certified it (assuming single signature certificate).
M who carried out the work - was working for another company as the main electrician with a trainee - my understanding is that only a qualified electrician can sign-off the work, but can they use someone elses registration to register if that person was not on site, would you not register your own work only?

M who carried out the work - was working for another company as the main electrician with a trainee - my understanding is that only a qualified electrician can sign-off the work, but can they use someone elses registration to register if that person was not on site, would you not register your own work only?
I feel you missed my point. The registration/enrolment/membership belongs to the company, and not an individual. For example, I am Principal Duty Holder, Qualified Supervisor, Qualified Certifier and Nominated Representative for my company for our registrations. But it is the company which is registered - not me.

Reply to Electrical certificates and registering in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net