Discuss Electrical compliance in first world is not as good as the third world in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

That's not putting it another way, that's a different point entirely. That point is made from a financial viewpoint. I was talking purely about competence and validity. We are clearly not on the same page here.

If large companies choose to select contractors on the basis of a badge rather than do their own due diligence that is up to them. I was just asserting that method is no guarantee of ending up with the best company, just the companies that have ticked the right boxes.

You must understand I'm not being personal here but just talking about schemes in general, so there's no need to be defensive.

So are you trying to tell me that being an Approved contractor is no better than being a short course guy or some prat from the pub chancing his luck, whether you agree that the niceic is any good is irrelevant, the fact is you clearly need the relevant qualifications and experience to pass the assessment every year, something that a domestic installer or short course dumbbell couldn't do.

Just to add the point I was trying to make about large companies was that you can't get through the gate without it.

So are you trying to tell me that being an Approved contractor is no better than being a short course guy or some prat from the pub chancing his luck, whether you agree that the niceic is any good is irrelevant, the fact is you clearly need the relevant qualifications and experience to pass the assessment every year, something that a domestic installer or short course dumbbell couldn't do.

You are clearly having trouble with this one. I'm not making my point again so you're going to have to re-read and try and digest it.

A good system in SA. We have something similar with the Gas industry in the UK, unfortunately the electrical industry has been 'deregulated' which means its open to carpetbaggers. Nothing really wrong with NICEIC, NAPIT, STROMA, ECA, ELECSA, BSI, SELECT. Its the the others that maybe problematic.
As official appenticeships have collapsed in this country there is a need for trained electricians and what appears to be the only way is to fill the market with DIYers and let them learn on the job and struggle through the assessment process offered by the authorizing bodies ........

I'm a bit incredulous tbh. Is there others with first hand experience of modern SA? It's got a massively high crime rate along with corruption and a stagnating economy.

In this context it's really hard to imagine they maintain such high standards. Plus I've lived/travelled abroad and those countries that seemed dodgy from a distance only became clearly dodgy up close.

Is there some statistics to back this idea that SA is great? For example less fires, dodgy sparks prosecuted, percentage of installations that have proper certification, factory uptime etc

A couple of more things...

I checked from an unofficial source about the pass marks for exams. It was listed at 50%. Maybe oracle could confirm that and provide an example of some questions so we get an idea of how hard the exam is.

About the arc protection that oracle says is required... How does that work? Is it always required? Afdd's are very expensive and not commonly installed. Also John ward's videos on Afdd's are essential viewing. They seemed a little unreliable.

Reply to Electrical compliance in first world is not as good as the third world in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net