Discuss Electrical Supplier in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi folks, I've just brought a house which has a pre pay meter. There is an outstanding debt on the meter so there is no power to the property. How do I get "reconnected?" I've sent an email to Edf but have not heard back yet, after a week. Whenever I ring them I'm always on hold for 20 plus minutes. Am I right in saying that I can use Eon or Npower etc? Even though I want the meter changed to a normal one.

Maybe I'm missing something obvious. I thought the whole idea of pre-paid electricity was that you 'pre pay'. If that's the case how could there be an outstanding debt?

dont ask marvo...!!! its a complicated game

basically the meter is set to recover £--- per week in rental charges and £--- in what ever you use for your power. so if house is empty the meter just keeps racking up the £--- in debt for rental charges each week.. also if teh customer had been a bad payer in teh past and credit facility was removed the outstanding debt will be placed on prepayment meter to be also recovered at £--- per week... so no money going in still equal debt....!!

you need edf to clear the account and restor power before attempting to change teh meter as any other supplier will not touch a meter with debt on it over a set amount...

dont ask marvo...!!! its a complicated game

basically the meter is set to recover £--- per week in rental charges and £--- in what ever you use for your power. so if house is empty the meter just keeps racking up the £--- in debt for rental charges each week.. also if teh customer had been a bad payer in teh past and credit facility was removed the outstanding debt will be placed on prepayment meter to be also recovered at £--- per week... so no money going in still equal debt....!!

you need edf to clear the account and restor power before attempting to change teh meter as any other supplier will not touch a meter with debt on it over a set amount...

Wow, every day is a school day :) I've never heard of a system like that.

I see what you mean about it getting complicated. We have prepaid electricity here as the norm for domestic installations. It's a hell of a lot simpler though. When the energy dispenser at home shows low units left you go to the shop and pay till it hurts for more. You get home, punch in the code on your ticket and, that's it, your lights stay on. :)

tell me about it...! i used to work for Npower in my spotty face days prior to joiining the navy and i had first hand insight on how not to run an electrical company!

You can try asking to be put on a credit meter but that depends on the supplier and what history as a person you have on paying bills.

Reply to Electrical Supplier in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net