Discuss Electrical training in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Do a short course and get out there house bashing in under 6 months.
6 Months! Slacker! You could be out earning 50k in 6 weeks if you apply yourself.
Seriously though OP, what is it you're wanting? If it's the full course which will teach you all the theory you'll need then a local tech college is the place to go. If you want to do the short course which will teach you not a great deal and be vastly more expensive then there's a training centre as one of the forum sponsors.

Thanks for the advice..would you recommend any specific course or college or training centre.all I can find is either in Kent or Birmingham etc. I live in north London and I've been searching for like months and can't find anything based in London.

I'm a dinosaur mate so I'm always going to recommend the full courses. City & Gilds 2330(as was) now replaced by 2357 (I think) but go along to your local college and ask to speak to one of their electrical lecturers, they'll put you right. Don't be fooled by the whole "Pay us £10 zillion and we'll make you an electrician in 10 minutes" thing though.

I've been working as an electrician mate for like more than 5 years,I think I am pretty much familiar with the trade,can't afford to spend another 3-4 years in college ...having in mind that am not looking to become a proffessional electrician ..just want to get my 17th edition may be part p..etc this will be as a second trade for me. that's why I'm looking for some short course like 1-2 months.

It also depends on your age.If you are aged 16-24 you will be better off doing an apprenticeship.If like some of us on here you fall out of that bracket a training centre is going to be the realistic approach!:tank:

This is a wind up isn't it???
I've been working as an electrician mate for like more than 5 years,I think I am pretty much familiar with the trade,can't afford to spend another 3-4 years in college ...having in mind that am not looking to become a proffessional electrician ..just want to get my 17th edition may be part p..etc this will be as a second trade for me. that's why I'm looking for some short course like 1-2 months.

- - - Updated - - -

This is a wind up isn't it???

- - - Updated - - -

Don't know why that posted twice

Well I'm 35... The thing is for the last year I've been mainly doing bathrooms and kitchens.For each job I'm using a electrician to do the electrics...but it's mostly basic electric work like rearranging sockets, light switches,wiring extractor fans etc. The gut is usually charging me 500 for two days work + parking. Now I'm not saying it's too much or anything like that but knowing how difficult it became to find work and I'm struggling myself to make 100 per day...logically thinking I got to the conclusion I better get certified and not outsource the electrical works. And lets be honest - moving a lightswitch...adding extra sockets,some minor alternatiins,...these are basic electrics...in the past I've been working along a electrician for years,..I've read the regulations and many books etc..now what I need is a a month course and to apply with niceic or elecsa...this is why I was wondering if someone can give me a good advice on some good training centre in London where I can do c&q 2328,4141 etc

The bare minimum for being scammed up is the 17th edition. I believe its 2382-10, you'll need calibrated test gear and insurance plus a few other things but all the info you'll need is on the various body's websites.

A guy at our place has been qualified for 18 months now, he was a mate for 8 years and went back to college and did the full course, day release and all that, and is now a fully qualified electrician, he's 38 now so don't let age put you off.
He can also hold his head up high and wave his gold membership card about because he chose to do it the right way.

A guy at our place has been qualified for 18 months now, he was a mate for 8 years and went back to college and did the full course, day release and all that, and is now a fully qualified electrician, he's 38 now so don't let age put you off.
He can also hold his head up high and wave his gold membership card about because he chose to do it the right way.

So everyone that does not possess a gold card has done it the wrong way then?

No that's not true but let's face it if a gold card is the bench mark and I believe it should be , then everything is would be classed as below that academic level.

Well I'm 35... The thing is for the last year I've been mainly doing bathrooms and kitchens.For each job I'm using a electrician to do the electrics...but it's mostly basic electric work like rearranging sockets, light switches,wiring extractor fans etc. The gut is usually charging me 500 for two days work + parking. Now I'm not saying it's too much or anything like that but knowing how difficult it became to find work and I'm struggling myself to make 100 per day...logically thinking I got to the conclusion I better get certified and not outsource the electrical works. And lets be honest - moving a lightswitch...adding extra sockets,some minor alternatiins,...these are basic electrics...in the past I've been working along a electrician for years,..I've read the regulations and many books etc..now what I need is a a month course and to apply with niceic or elecsa...this is why I was wondering if someone can give me a good advice on some good training centre in London where I can do c&q 2328,4141 etc

Typical labours syndrome, knows it all. Adding sockets may be "simple" but can you test it so its safe? Do you understand the regs that go with it? Rcd protection, upgrading bonding if needed? Pointless doing a 5 week course IMHO.

So everyone that does not possess a gold card has done it the wrong way then?

Basically, yes.

If you want to be employed by a decent firm, they will want you to have done an apprenticeship/proper training and have a jib card. Who the hell would employ a Electrical Trainee for anything more than carrying tools and materials? Lol

im hoping to become a qualified electrician, i have put myself on a Level 3 Certificate in Installing, Testing and Ensuring Compliance of Electrical Installations in Dwellings course along with the 17th edition qualification... i was told this 6 week course would be ideal due to the changes in requirments for the domestic installer, can anyone shed any light on this to see if ive made the right choice

Reply to Electrical training in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net