• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Electrical Wiring Question in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a HNC in electrical & electronic engineering and my company has asked me to work on some commercial property wiring (light switch repair etc). I know what needs to be done, but should I even be doing this?

Seems wrong, if it is. To carry out electrical work on commercial buildings what extra qualifications would I need?

Please, any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

I think EAWR and the regs require persons working on installations to be skilled in the sense that they are qualified and also more importantly in your case, experienced. It does not sound like you are so the firm sending is you is taking chances. There are so many things that can go wrong if you are not trained and experienced with this type of installation. Are you happy with an MFT and appropriate tests. Are you ok with the various types of fittings and connections you may encounter. Are you familiar with the circuitry involved and types of MCBs' etc. if you can say yes to the above then why not?

Hi,

I have a HNC in electrical & electronic engineering and my company has asked me to work on some commercial property wiring (light switch repair etc). I know what needs to be done, but should I even be doing this?

Seems wrong, if it is. To carry out electrical work on commercial buildings what extra qualifications would I need?

Please, any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.
Alistair, what position do you hold with the Company you work for? it sounds as though they are taking advantage of your Electronic qualifications, thinking that they will cover the work they are asking you to undertake, a difficult position to be in, if you refuse I would imagine. Will the Company provide all the test equipment tools etc to enable you to do this work? I doubt it, respectfully refuse, I would if I was in your shoes. That's my view for what it's worth.

Hi,

Thanks to both for the replies.

The answer to the equipment all they have is a PAT tester, no meter or anything. So straight away I would need to purchase basis tools.

My main job is site support. I have clearly outlined that someone professional should carry out the works. If someone carries out these works, surely need to be independently checked? No matter the fix.

i agree with pete999. qualifications aside. a load of practical experience hands-on is required before being let loose on potentially lethal works.

funny thing is, the citerion is "competent". qualifications alone don't prove competence, but experience can.

Hi,

Thanks to both for the replies.

The answer to the equipment all they have is a PAT tester, no meter or anything. So straight away I would need to purchase basis tools.

My main job is site support. I have clearly outlined that someone professional should carry out the works. If someone carries out these works, surely need to be independently checked? No matter the fix.
Depending what work you do , some certification will be required

Hi,

We lease buildings, don’t own them but responsible for the floor.

So when a light switch decides to give up, it’s up to us to replace, same for tubes etc.

I can swap some tubes and starters, even light switches but I’m not totally sure legally I can swap this, even if I decided to carry out the works. That aside, it’s the equipment I would need, we have no form of testers.

Hi,

We lease buildings, don’t own them but responsible for the floor.

So when a light switch decides to give up, it’s up to us to replace, same for tubes etc.

I can swap some tubes and starters, even light switches but I’m not totally sure legally I can swap this, even if I decided to carry out the works. That aside, it’s the equipment I would need, we have no form of testers.
Are your Company acting as Landlords? it will be the Landlords responsibility to ensure the electrical installation is safe, I know it regularly done, but any work carried out should be done safely, I still think your Company is trying to get the work done on the cheap.

in your situation, i'd accept replacement of faulty accessories, but insist that if any more in depth work was required of you, your company sends you on an appropriate course and buys all necessary test equipment, along with course/s as appropriate in their use.

My x-employer negotiated a similarly reduced rent, for inheriting some responsibilities for building fabric .
(and duly fitted the cheapest door handles possible)

Yeah most definitely.

Out of interest which items are essential for this kind of work? (Not really from the electrical install side)

DVM etc
A MFT Multi Function Tester 2 or 3 grand
An AVI Voltage indicator at around £100
A Proving unit about the same as the AVI
A set of various tools suitable for use by an Electrician couple of hundred
Access to BS 7671 to buy about £80:00
Many other things that have gone from my memory bank.
Oh and no self respecting Electrician / Domestic Installer wouldn't be without the ubiquitous Volt Pen/stick to stick in the top pocket of your new CPS T shirt about £15:00
So not exactly a cheap option, oh and plus any courses you need to take, could run to about £7K depending on how far you want to take your training.
PPE Personal Protective Equipment: safety glasses, hard hat, work boots ear defenders etc etc.

Last edited:

Reply to Electrical Wiring Question in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back