Discuss electricial drawing in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
would anybody be able to help me here

i have voluntered (forced) to go into my daughters school on monday and give a talk on electrical wiring in houses the teacher has asked for drawings i dont have any to hand and the ones on net look a bit crap of a bit in depth for kids

any help apreciated inc doing the talk for me lol

For a school I'd go with photos rather than drawings. Put together a slide show in powerpoint.

bloody hell i wasnt going for that in depth the teacher asked for drawings so they could put on display in school

im taking in sockets switches and some tools inc testers would i get in trouble for doing some IR testing on cheeky kids lol

would i get in trouble for doing some IR testing on cheeky kids

probably, but the fun factor would be worth it

IR testing small children is certainly a way of making them pay attention. You can have a pop-quiz after your talk and every question they get wrong you notch up the IR test voltage.

If they've got interactive whiteboards, you can do some drawings on that for them. But, I think you've been given a great opportunity to show kids why what we do is all about saving lives and preventing fires, tell then the dangers of electricity and if you can, show them the basics of what a circuit is with a bulb and a battery. I do a little talk for the NCT on electrical safety in the home, but I think that maybe a bit much for school kids.

You might be breaking into a new career here haha.
I'd go with some switches and sockets for them to play with and a few pictures saying don't touch wires extra and maybe where you would typically see them I.e distboards.
Don't forget to show dodgy dis boards and sockets and give out the business cards :)

I think a very basic hand drawn effort showing L thru switch to lamp back to neutral completing the circuit would suffice. Maybe also show how electricity wants to travel to earth, again very basic .i.e explain how birds can sit on overheads ( but not guys!:))
My explanation to non techy folk is telling them that the flow of electricity is not dissimilar to water. They seem to get their head round that

would anybody be able to help me here

i have voluntered (forced) to go into my daughters school on monday and give a talk on electrical wiring in houses the teacher has asked for drawings i dont have any to hand and the ones on net look a bit crap of a bit in depth for kids

any help apreciated inc doing the talk for me lol

What age group for the drawings? is it for a high school? or early school? so that the drawings are suitable...and the talk as well.....

I will help you but I would need to know who I need to write for asap as there's not much time until Monday....

Why don't you just show a basic doorbell drawing or even better knock one up ( no pun intended) then let them see how a basic circuit works. Use a battery instead of a transformer for safety sake.

OK first thing is to write a lesson plan! this needs to have objectives and outcomes of the lesson then it should show resources needed, and differentiation for kids who are G&T, middlers and SEN. the plan should start with a starter activity around 5 or 10 minutes long based on the main topic some thing for them to do at the start of the lesson while you're trying to figure out what to do! then a main activity usually around 20 to 30 minutes this will need chunking into smaller sections with pit stops for evaluations. then you need to do a plenary and tidy up around 5 or 10 minutes! then collapse.
hows that for a 45minute lesson. then repeat 8 times a day.

or wing it!!!

Reply to electricial drawing in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net