Search the forum,

Discuss Electrician with non insulated tools in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

You want to see the pair on the other side of my street, but, maybe not!
I once did a job in a house that was owned by 2 old dears that were a couple. I had to go into a bedroom to pull on a cable and there they were having an almost naked cuddle on the bed.
Greenpeace would have pushed them into the sea if they were on a beach.
It was quite traumatic for a young lad.

When i entered the industry the only electricians that were issued ALL insulated screwdrivers (and other hand tools) were those working for the old electricity boards!! The insulation on the screw drivers (especially the terminal screwdrivers) was so thick the electricians stripped the insulation off the ends, lol!!! Our company had a full live working tool kit made up of several sets covering screwdrivers, pliers, spanners sets, socket sets, etc etc, that were held in the stores, they weren't VDE (that classification didn't exist as they are known today) they were made in the States

The company tool kit i was issued, contained standard screwdrivers that some of us insulated with either tape or the early heat shrink tubing, when and if we could get hold of it!!

When i entered the industry the only electricians that were issued ALL insulated screwdrivers (and other hand tools) were those working for the old electricity boards!! The insulation on the screw drivers (especially the terminal screwdrivers) was so thick the electricians stripped the insulation off the ends, lol!!! Our company had a full live working tool kit made up of several sets covering screwdrivers, pliers, spanners sets, socket sets, etc etc, that were held in the stores, they weren't VDE (that classification didn't exist as they are known today) they were made in the States

The company tool kit i was issued, contained standard screwdrivers that some of us insulated with either tape or the early heat shrink tubing, when and if we could get hold of it!!

yup had to do that to my drivers, couldn't screw the covers on isolators cause of it

I,ve not done any live stuff for ages,not had to but I've still got a set of fully insulated sockets,spanners,saw,stripping knives etc in my tool chest and that's where it stays.It's only for live work and I won't use it on anything else in case it gets damaged.Agree with E54 about tape or heatshrink around screwdrivers though,done it myself in the past.

Ask any spark over 40 and you will find insulated tools are a relatively recent introduction to the toolkit.
they were the lusted after property of the electric board guys only.
i think I got my first set of insulated screwdrivers around 2000
before that it was all in insulated with a bit of tape or if you were posh a bit of pyro PVC cover.
i remember a joiner asking me how all sparks disconnect the earth first from a socket.
well mk and the like had a dirty great earth strap running along the top next to the terminals
which you could short out with your screwdriver if not careful.
uninsulated drivers are better for poking holes in things and general bashing I find
insulated are better for working on live stuff if the need arises

Do they even make a VDE Scrulox screwdriver? Mine is the red-handled one like nearly everyone has.

I don't know, I used to have a couple red ones but the handle would always spin, so they were grinded off to make into an attachment for the drill, I have a bacho ne that came free with a handsaw

Hi all,

Just wanted to see people's thoughts on this.

Had an "experienced" Electrician start at my place of work on agency (mainly electrical maintenance)

He claims that he has worked all over the country and done so much.

However, he doesn't use insulated screwdrivers and his argument is that no
one should be working live so they are not needed. He is adamant that he won't use them.

Well, there are some circumstances where you have no choice but to work on a live board (obviously taking the correct precautions). Also he would not be complying with GS38. I have never known another sparky not to use insulated tools.

Any thoughts?

technically he is right.although we all do it XD Have a look at these.

Electricity at work: Safe working practices

Memorandum of guidance on the Electricity at Work Regulations 1989. Guidance on Regulations - HSG25

if anything goes wrong you need to prove you took correct procedures and adequate measures to reduce risks and working live was justified. Or as tony says you will be invited to the --- kicking party :)

Reply to Electrician with non insulated tools in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock