Discuss Electro Osmosis (damp proof systems) - help? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

phabpixs

I've been asked to re-wire a listed property and it's current electrical system is something out of the ark and needs condemming.

However I'm( how shall we say this) 'naive' about one particular element and that is the electric damp proof course (electro osmosis).

Does anyone know anything about this kind of installation?

If the owner wants it decommissioned and replaced by a chemical and/or physical barrier is there any thing I should be looking out for in particular?

Comments welcome please?

Thanks in advance

Hi, This type of damp-proofing is very common in older buildings especially where there has been not damp-proofing originally as it can be retro-fitted and is relatively non-invasive.

Have you spoken to the conservation officer at the local authority regarding this property? If it is listed, and dependent upon the listing grade, 1, 2*, 2 etc, will determine to some extent what can and cannot be done. It might be the case that Electro-Osmosis is the only option anyway.

Check out the English Heritage English Heritage - Stonehenge & the History of England : English Heritage as it will give you some useful pointers, and at least provide you with a guidance process of what hoops you need to jump through for a listed building.

Yooj

I've been asked to re-wire a listed property and it's current electrical system is something out of the ark and needs condemming.

However I'm( how shall we say this) 'naive' about one particular element and that is the electric damp proof course (electro osmosis).

Does anyone know anything about this kind of installation?

If the owner wants it decommissioned and replaced by a chemical and/or physical barrier is there any thing I should be looking out for in particular?

Comments welcome please?

Thanks in advance

I attached 2 documents to give some info on electro osmosis

Attachments

• Electro Osmosis.pdf
    594.1 KB · Views: 46
  • Electro Osmosis for drying walls.doc
    24 KB · Views: 31
Thanks Roger.

The electrical damp course was replaced with a regular one on clients request. Interesting read though.

James

Reply to Electro Osmosis (damp proof systems) - help? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net