Currently reading:
Emergency key switch wiring

Discuss Emergency key switch wiring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

dave19

Hi Guys,

Can you help ? I just wanted to know how you wire a key switch and normal switch together. Is this how it should be :-

Feed from board to common on key switch
power to emergency lights comes off the load side of key switch
loop feed comes off the common side of key switch to common side of normal switch then
power to normal lights comes off load side to normal switch.

Is this it and if not is there a different way of doing it. Please explain in as simple terms as you can. Diagrams would also help ? Thanks guys.

Dave.

so you went back a full topics page just to look for a thread just to have the last word in ?

lol.
No Biff I'm not "trying to have the last word" and I never was - you made that up yourself. What I'm doing is participating in an electrical discussion which is why I come on this forum, unlike yourself who only seems to come here to be a pain in the backside.

I've seen it both ways as the rest of yous, council offices have non maintained so normal lighting stays on and preventive maintenance is what happens in these buildings I.e change lamps if discoloured clean fittings if boggin, then other places have emergency light built in and all lights go out, can honestly say lux levels only matter at design stage. From what I've seen. But maybe you have seen different and lux levels matter. Troll 1 Adam 0

And to know what lux levels are required and how to achieve them requires relux, and knowing the photometrics of the unit you are installing the area size you need to cover so relux can tell u were to position em light units.
Or like most of us place over exits, change of floor level and direction and put a few extras in long corridors or large office spaces.

I've seen it both ways as the rest of yous, council offices have non maintained so normal lighting stays on and preventive maintenance is what happens in these buildings I.e change lamps if discoloured clean fittings if boggin, then other places have emergency light built in and all lights go out, can honestly say lux levels only matter at design stage. From what I've seen. But maybe you have seen different and lux levels matter. Troll 1 Adam 0
Why do you think you do preventative maintenance if, as you say, lux levels don't matter once the circuit has been designed?
This is like saying you don't need to do any testing on any circuits because it's been designed correctly, or more likely used the pre-designed off-the-shelf circuits out of the onsite guide.

Well I have (seen a lux meter used) several times as it happens, on a major job before hand over for the clients rep to witness if memory serves me correctly.

during the initial verification prior to completion to ensure the designers lighting criteria has been met , yes ?

but for every subsequent routine test thereafter ?
no point.

during the initial verification prior to completion to ensure the designers lighting criteria has been met , yes ?
That would be after the design stage.
but for every subsequent routine test thereafter ?
no point.
Maybe not "every subsequent routing test thereafter" but that doesn't alter the fact that the use of a lux meter can help detect when emergency lights no longer emit the required lux level.

Neither have I, but it's not to say you can't or shouldn't use one.

so for the last 24hrs you have been arguing in defence of a particular method of wiring a keyswitch for the purpose of carrying out a lux test that you nor i have ever seen been done during routine maintenance ?

good grief.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quite amusing how this topic has gone from how to wire em lights, to know testing lux levels when doing maintenance.
To be honest the only places that will check them are either council, police cells an a few big companies, most maint engs see them working in em mode and couldn't give a rats arse about lux or wouldnt know we're to find a lux meter if they got asked.

so for the last 24hrs you have been arguing in defence of a particular method of wiring a keyswitch for the purpose of carrying out a lux test that you nor i have ever seen been done during routine maintenance ?

good grief.
No that wasn't my initial reason for defending it, and I didn't favour one method over the other. What I said was wiring it in that way would facilitate the use of a lux meter to check the emergency lights are emitting the required light level.
Why do you think I should be against something just because I've never seen it being done?

is it a requirement under the BS5266 Emergency Lighting code of practice to carry out lux tests during routine testing ?
not that i can find.
Are you trying to tell me BS5266 makes no reference to lux levels?
I'm fairly certain it does, and a good way to ensure compliance with that is with the use of a lux meter, not that there's any specific requirement to, but then there's no specific requirement for PAT testing but businesses still pay to get it done.

Reply to Emergency key switch wiring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock