Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discuss Emergency Stop Button for a 3 Phase 3HP Motor Help. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Micah Margolis

Micah Margolis New EF Member

Business Name:
    Gann Academy
    Hi All,

Long story short, I am building a plastic shredder with a 3 phase 3 HP motor. I am using this switch to control forward and backwards: https://goo.gl/k8zSxA (amazon). I need a switch or button that can cut power to the device. It does not need to stop immediately. I am not using a Contactor or motor controller. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

2. MDJ

MDJ The Muppet Police Forum Mentor

Just stick a stop button in series with the supply, that said, why not a contactor? what about overload protection?

3. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Respected Member

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    need to be careful here. a different set of regs. and safety standards apply, outside the scope of BS7671. darkwood is your best advisor here.

• Like Like x 1
  4. MDJ

MDJ The Muppet Police Forum Mentor

Good point, I never realised he was a Yank

5. Micah Margolis

Micah Margolis New EF Member

Business Name:
    Gann Academy
    No contactor because i'm trying to keep things simple (I'm a noob.) What do you mean by overload protection?

6. DPG

DPG Respected Member

There's a worrying statement 'What do you mean by overload protection '.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. telectrix

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    think OP might be out of his depth here.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. westward10

westward10 In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream. Staff Member Moderator

Top Poster Of Month

You need a motor controller with forward, reverse and stop functions which also incorporates overload relays.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Yplan

Yplan Active EF Member

You Deffo need a contactor with overload protection rated at same as motor on the plate,

I would wire the control circuit in series through the stop button and through to enable that coil.

Yplan

10. Spoon

Spoon Forum Mentor

BS EN 60204
    7.3.1 General
    Protection of motors against overheating shall be provided for each motor rated at more than 0,5 kW.

You should have an equivalent reg.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. westward10

westward10 In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream. Staff Member Moderator

Top Poster Of Month

Don't think it is quite the same in the States, it is required but the parameters are different.

12. telectrix

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    by parameters, do you mean bang test?

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Spoon

Spoon Forum Mentor

True, hence my last sentence.

• Like Like x 2
  14. darkwood

darkwood Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Welcome to the Forum, is this a project at your Academy?

The Forum is based around UK regulations and even though you may be USA based I would believe there exists strict regulation and rules surrounding the designing and building of control systems for machinery.
    Anyone who is competent and qualified to design and install such systems would not be asking the basic of basic questions on a Forum and as a Forum it is our duty to offer safe advice. It is therefore my only option to advise you to contract in a competent qualified person to design and build these controls for you, this is for your own safety and that of any user.

It is for the above reasons that I am closing this thread, this is not something to do as a DIY project without some indepth knowledge of the relevant standards and risks associated.

If this is indeed a project for your Academy them you should discuss this with your tutor and ask for their assistance, it is to be noted that (s)he too would need to be fully compliant and knowledged in the relevant regulations that surround this 'project'.

Please PM me if you have any queries to why your thread has been closed or to add any supporting information which may allow us to reopen the thread.
    Re' Darkwood.

• Like Like x 2