Discuss Emergency stops for LAB sockets in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I have been tasked with installing emergency stop buttons at the doorways to a few labs, so in an emergency they can hit the stop button and it will kill the power to all the sockets in the room.

Now the problem is they are all rings with the DB's some distance away. Had they been radials t would be easy, simply break the circuit as it comes in and wire through the EMG Stop, job done, has anyone had a scenario like this and overcome it?

Would the only way be by mounting something at the DB Like a 4 pole relay, wire the ring from the MCB straight into it, and control that by an EMG Stop button sited in the circuits room, wired from the DB where the sockets are?

Or possibly catch the ring as it enters the room and mount the relay there if the legs close together, as some rooms are Dado trunking on walls.

Any advice/ help?

Bloomin hades put a contactor in circuit before the distribution board, simples

Not simple! ha Circuits are some distance away with awkward runs to the rooms, as a cable would then be required from the board to the room where the sockets are :/

Stick a contactor in where the ring enters the room, and wire the stop button to the coil, I would recommend a stop button with a key facility, that way a competant person will have to use a key to open it and would do so only if it is safe to do so.

split the rings into 20a radials

or tell the client ( truthfully ) that his requirements are going to be expensive to achieve with extensive alterations.

Yes, i was thinking installing it where it enters the room and use stop button to coil on N/C contractor but its highly unlikely the two legs of a ring will be next to one another will probably go to either end of the socket runs which are quite large areas.

I also suppose for the purpose a 2 pole N/C contractor would suffice just cutting the two live cables?

Yep agree with above, need to think about how to reset the contactor after EM trip. Not really acceptable to just twist the e/s back to the normal position as this would energise the ccts again with un-predictable consequences.

I would not use separate poles of a contactor to break two legs of a ring separately, and certainly not break only the line in that way. If the contact resistance rises it could interfere with the current sharing, and if one contact went high resistance you would not know about it because the sockets would carry on working. I would prefer to see the control cable run back to contactor adjacent to the DB and the ring moved from the DB into it.

If the cables run to the rooms together, with suitable checks and precautions you could possibly parallel them and create a lollipop circuit so that the contactor could go in the room.

As far as re-energising method etc, this needs to follow from their risk assessment which should show what specific risks they are trying to minimise, and how the E-stop is intended to minimise them.

What if the lights are on the same DB? And the contactor coil circuit?
Also surely he wants a separate stop for each room?

I thought the original post said ALL THE SOCKETS are fed from the same DB if they are not the fit a new DB just for the sockets and control that one via a contactor

Run all emergency points back to the db, you know where all the rings are then, either N/C 230v or N/C low voltage, to control contactors at the db. Reason for N/C is to fail safe the system

Obviously I can't see the set up there, when we used to wire labs we built panels for individual rooms, very simple types as well, a serel enclosure with some mcbs and dim rail plus some little plastic trunking under them and a contactor or 2 inside as well, we used to wire the ring or rings to the serel enclosure and have a start stop station with a green and red indicator lights connected to the enclosure via auxillary contacts, you could do something similar if you could find the rings going into the rooms and use then to supply the enclosure, without actually surveying the site it is all guess work, but you could make a decent job of it without switching the DB or indeed running cables that distance.

I thought the original post said ALL THE SOCKETS are fed from the same DB if they are not the fit a new DB just for the sockets and control that one via a contactor

which is fine if the client doesnt mind every socket going dead in every lab when someone presses any 1 stop button.....................

and also assumes that all the lab circuits originate from the same db.

quite frankly , its going to be easier to convert the rings into radials so each lab only has 1 supply point to interupt.

Last edited by a moderator:
All depends on setup.....is there an mcb for each room..?.....if there is then wire back to db....if not ring finding time

You may find it is not that simple, the reason we used to make control panels for labs is down to rules about H&S regarding the children or staff using the room, a team leader needs to have control of the circuit locally and thats why not only a stop button installed but also control regarding a start station as well. If it were me I Would speak again to the customer regarding specific requirments. Mike

Reply to Emergency stops for LAB sockets in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net