Discuss Equipotential Bonding in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

sbelec

Hi,

Can someone explain the science behind the need for 10mm earth cables to gas, water etc? Or is this simply a justifiable rip off for big companies as the size required has gone up slowly over years - the main reason so many DIYers have a go!

A 100a fuse feeds a consumer unit through 25mm cable, normally a couple of meters at most. The house is then fed through a whole series of smaller cables with the absolute maximum being 16mm if you have a 12kW shower and even then the CPC is only 6mm. So if 6mm is sufficient for a disconnection time of 5 seconds why do we use 10mm on water and gas?

The reason this has really come home is I am running a 4mm SWA to an outhouse (2m from main house) where there is a water supply that needs bonding back to the main earth terminal. The supply is via a 32amp mcb, yet I have got to have a 10mm earth cable - whats the point! My original plan was 3core, 1 core for my CPC and the armour would be sufficient for 9.5mm equivalent copper. Technical viewpoint is it MUST be 10mm and this is no good.

Then of course we add the fact that the water supply is plastic in many house to the tap, one house I went to with a plumber recently had a plastic in to the tap and then 150mm of copper and a plastic tee split to 2 plastic pipes with an earth clamp.

Of course the owner is questioning this as to why with RCD protection I am pushing for everywhere and he can understand does he need to take out perfectly good 6mm which to be blunt other than the BGB I actually agree with him. Lets face it 1440 ohms is sufficient to trip an RCD.

Sorry rant over, but is there a scientific proven reason for the size? Other than protection against damage. This is definately an area IET must address BEFORE they rip us off with another book and using the real world, sorry but do they employ electricians or electrical engineers.

steve

The reason I went to technical was an iet wiring matters article autumn 2005 where it states the bonding must be 10mm. It quotes table 54H.
Refresher on reasons - the reasons must have technical and scientific validity and I have been through every book I have and there is no scientific evidence to prove the 10mm. That was where I started, unfortunately due to my background I question and accept nothing. My belief in rcd's is complete, the science for enhanced safety and fire protection I can prove myself. But this..... and when plastic pipe is involved ... well it realistically ceases to introduce a different potential.
At least I don't seem to be alone.

So you’ve got the audacity to question the IET? Good on you. There’s too many that recite the mantra unquestioningly.

BS7671 as such are recommendations and as such a guide line. Open to interpretation.

But be ready to prove your decision.

Is the water main coming into the outbuilding metal or plastic? If plastic don't bond it, plastic doesn't conduct!

I would question your belief in RCDs personally, they are prone to being unreliable and seem to be the current one size fits all soloution to shoddy design and installation.

But be ready to prove your decision.

Thats the secret, you can do whatever you want to do until the sh*t hits the fan! Then be prepared to to justify what you did outside of BS7671 and have a bloody good technical arguement to go with it.

Hi,

Can someone explain the science behind the need for 10mm earth cables to gas, water etc? Or is this simply a justifiable rip off for big companies as the size required has gone up slowly over years - the main reason so many DIYers have a go!

A 100a fuse feeds a consumer unit through 25mm cable, normally a couple of meters at most. The house is then fed through a whole series of smaller cables with the absolute maximum being 16mm if you have a 12kW shower and even then the CPC is only 6mm. So if 6mm is sufficient for a disconnection time of 5 seconds why do we use 10mm on water and gas?

The reason this has really come home is I am running a 4mm SWA to an outhouse (2m from main house) where there is a water supply that needs bonding back to the main earth terminal. The supply is via a 32amp mcb, yet I have got to have a 10mm earth cable - whats the point! My original plan was 3core, 1 core for my CPC and the armour would be sufficient for 9.5mm equivalent copper. Technical viewpoint is it MUST be 10mm and this is no good.

Then of course we add the fact that the water supply is plastic in many house to the tap, one house I went to with a plumber recently had a plastic in to the tap and then 150mm of copper and a plastic tee split to 2 plastic pipes with an earth clamp.

Of course the owner is questioning this as to why with RCD protection I am pushing for everywhere and he can understand does he need to take out perfectly good 6mm which to be blunt other than the BGB I actually agree with him. Lets face it 1440 ohms is sufficient to trip an RCD.

Sorry rant over, but is there a scientific proven reason for the size? Other than protection against damage. This is definately an area IET must address BEFORE they rip us off with another book and using the real world, sorry but do they employ electricians or electrical engineers.

steve

Only tnc-s has a 10mm minimum requirement :)

PME/TNC-S main bonding cable sizes are based on the incoming neutral CSA and for very good reason. In the very unlikely event of a lost neutral affecting your house, you may well be grateful you installed a 10mm main bonding conductor to your out building water pipe!!

Oh and you don't add the steel wire armouring and the 3rd core of a SWA cable and come up with a overall CSA figure, it doesn't work like that. but then you should bloody well know that, and Why!!

Reply to Equipotential Bonding in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net