Discuss Esteemed Member Tag Now Available (Automatically Dished Out) in the ElectriciansForums.net News and Updates area at ElectriciansForums.net

Dan

Staff member
Admin
Mod
Reaction score
Okay, so I'm not a huge fan of tag. But I am of good content.

So here's a new tag that should encourage that. We've had it running on TilersForums.com and it seems to have worked a bit. People get it.

So this is based on your reactions to your posts.

First of all you'll need 300 posts to qualify. Else we end up with loads of newbies automatically getting it because their like/post ratios change so often.

Then you'll need to have a post per like ratio of 1:1.

So if you have 1000 posts, those posts need to have an average over them all of 1000. And then the tag will be applied within the hour. It runs every hour or so to check changes.

Out of the 6 'like' options we have, the first three on the left (so the heart and the laughing one) count as positive likes (or reactions). And the three on the right are neutral. Rather than taking anything away. I think that could be abused too easily.

So I'll leave this here and go run off and hide for a bit. And we'll see what happens in a week or so eh. :D

When the forum was upgraded a large proportion of the positive reaction count didn't come with it, is there any way to get those added back?

I know mine sat at over 1:1, and likes of Richard Burns, Risteard had way way above that from a lot more posts. Now they are around 1:0.5 :confused:

When the forum was upgraded a large proportion of the positive reaction count didn't come with it, is there any way to get those added back?

I know mine sat at over 1:1, and likes of Richard Burns, Risteard had way way above that from a lot more posts. Now they are around 1:0.5 :confused:
LOL. I can't remember what mine was but checked today and see that I'm not within an asses roar of 1:1!

Oops, seems to be broken. My rep/post ratio is still well over unity but the tag has disappeared. Something Dan changed under the hood, no doubt...

Yes apologies mate. I'll take a look into that. I think I moved the ratio the wrong way. I was after more members not less lol

dunno about esteemed. atm i'm steamed. JD on the ricks and pizza for tea.

Edit: give it 20 mins and yours should come back, and a few other members should end up with it also. Possibly.

The ratio I'm going to keep quiet about from now on but clearly this forum needs them greater than 1:1. Plumbers and tilers both catch a lot of members at that ratio. That shows how much shyte is posted here amongst the actual awesome electrical content.

Hence the word minimum kinda stuff.
[automerge]1566928358[/automerge]
dunno about esteemed. atm i'm steamed. JD on the ricks and pizza for tea.
Oh no. Write down what you want to post on a pad and post it tomorrow once you've read it sober. Lol

My Ratio will go down after posting this message, unless someone likes it:coldsweat:
sitting at 0.994 or 99% but I haven't got any shiny new tags next to my name.
If you have moved the threshold down, it wasn't by a lot!!!

Edit: give it 20 mins and yours should come back, and a few other members should end up with it also. Possibly.

The ratio I'm going to keep quiet about from now on but clearly this forum needs them greater than 1:1. Plumbers and tilers both catch a lot of members at that ratio. That shows how much shyte is posted here amongst the actual awesome electrical content.

Hence the word minimum kinda stuff.
[automerge]1566928358[/automerge]

Oh no. Write down what you want to post on a pad and post it tomorrow once you've read it sober. Lol
I think a lot of it is down to that when the forum changed, the positive reaction counts didn't carry over properly. I know I had a better ratio than 1 post:1 postive reaction and other's significantly better, as alluded to in post #2.

@Risteard @Richard Burns I think had reaction scores of better than 1 post: 2 postive reactions, now they are more around 1:0.5 which is way off. No staff are close 1:1 but all would have been over it before the forum update.:confused:

I think a lot of it is down to that when the forum changed, the positive reaction counts didn't carry over properly. I know I had a better ratio than 1 post:1 postive reaction and other's significantly better, as alluded to in post #2.

@Risteard @Richard Burns I think had reaction scores of better than 1 post: 2 postive reactions, now they are more around 1:0.5 which is way off. No staff are close 1:1 but all would have been over it before the forum update.:confused:
Incorrect. They all did. And always have done. I don't change the forum unless I can carry those over. I was waiting for it to be possible before I did it. And did three trial test forums before live ones.

Don't spread rumours. They start small wars on here lol
[automerge]1566937330[/automerge]

Staff on all forums are low. We dish out warnings too much and close threads people want open. We take it all on the chin.

We also have automated messages that go out for birthday threads and things that hammer our counts usually.
[automerge]1566937394[/automerge]
@Lucien Nunes should be back by now so it's an error my end. I will take a look tomorrow in work.
[automerge]1566938854[/automerge]
Ouch. Is there a specific bit you disagree with lol

Last edited:
Incorrect. They all did. And always have done. I don't change the forum unless I can carry those over. I was waiting for it to be possible before I did it. And did three trial test forums before live ones.

Don't spread rumours. They start small wars on here lol
[automerge]1566937330[/automerge]

Staff on all forums are low. We dish out warnings too much and close threads people want open. We take it all on the chin.

We also have automated messages that go out for birthday threads and things that hammer our counts usually.
[automerge]1566937394[/automerge]
@Lucien Nunes should be back by now so it's an error my end. I will take a look tomorrow in work.
Nope, they definitely didn't carry over to the way it was before. The "Likes" maybe did, but all of the positive reactions in total did not. Used to have that little table of how many of each you had given, and received.
The old Like, Agree, Disagree, Informative, Friendly, Useful, and the infamous Dumb, Old, Bad Spelling

Nope, they definitely didn't carry over to the way it was before. The "Likes" maybe did, but all of the positive reactions in total did not. Used to have that little table of how many of each you had given, and received.
The old Like, Agree, Disagree, Informative, Friendly, Useful, and the infamous Dumb, Old, Bad Spelling
Who cares.

You really don't need your name in a different colour to make you worth listening to or not.

Maybe I see things differently to others, I also refuse to put a footer on my e-mail boasting of my company and position.

I did notice that with mine but never bothered about it.
Here is a screen shot from a post back in Feb where I posted my ratings.
1566943544927.png

Back then I had more than my 3,181 I have now.
Hey ho... It makes no difference to me as I'm still waaaaay off the ratio.. :laughing:

Nope they definitely did. All positive ones were changed to likes. Then the likes processed on the new system.

Don't guess and then assume it as fact.

I did it myself with MySQL commands because I know what I'm doing, unlike some forum owners. :)
[automerge]1566944722[/automerge]
I did notice that with mine but never bothered about it.
Here is a screen shot from a post back in Feb where I posted my ratings.
View attachment 51698
Back then I had more than my 3,181 I have now.
Hey ho... It makes no difference to me as I'm still waaaaay off the ratio.. :laughing:
You have 3,229 now. That's about right if you total the positives up.

I think you are assuming there were more positives than there actually were.

There were and still are Positive, Neutral, and Negative (pardon the pun on a sparky forum lol).

I converted all positives for you all. On all forums.

They are true and accurate.

Only admins who had access to the backend of the stats would be able to say which had which status applied. Not a single member can.

So you are all assuming a guess you're making is a fact.

I am telling you, you are wrong.

PMSL

As well as it being nearly 25 to tomorrow, you are taking this original good thread off topic again spoon.

How about you go get your head down and stop making my phone ping.

Your numbers, as with all numbers, are correct.

Move on now. Again. Last informal warning pal.

Have my suspicions -that No 5 let us down.
(!...Too much larking about -with a serious topic..!)
..sorry Dan.. ;)
(it was optimistically green -but maybe should have been Yellow --if enough colours were not available):):):) I blame Part P.

I'll recount the stats tomorrow for you all. But they're right I'm sure of it.

I have a running copy of the old forum.

Also, once the esteemed tag becomes too popular, I'd change the ratio. And like now it being too rare, I'd change the ratio.

Looks like I've broken something though so if it's not sunny tomorrow I'll work on that and the directory. If it's sunny, I'm off out for the day. Sod it. :D
[automerge]1566949366[/automerge]
Have my suspicions -that No 5 let us down.
(!...Too much larking about -with a serious topic..!)
..sorry Dan.. ;)
(it was optimistically green -but maybe should have been Yellow --if enough colours were not available):):):) I blame Part P.
No 3 and 4 were being abused on this forum. Those may have been switched to neutral. I'll take a look. Also certain forum categories don't count towards your totals on the old system and / or this system.

So you can't really compare apples with oranges.

Well, I did say the count was wrong. I think's its unfair to move the goalposts around as well.
The count wasn't wrong. It imported all positive ratings at the time of the import. Screen prints from some other time may not be correct. And don't tell you which ones were positive.

Also the aim of the tag is to have it rare and sought after. Not dished out to everybody. So as I play around with it to find a good balance, the ratios will be moved around. Hence me needing to "move the goal posts" in your favour. Because right now for you personally, you have two hopes of getting the tag. I'd just not worry about this tag mate and hope another one comes along that's easier to get. Because it will never be relaxed enough for that kind of ratio that you have.

I'll work on the directory some more later. And take a look into this esteemed ratio error we have. But I'm fooked if I'm going fish around the old forum to check see which tags had what weight and whether they were positive and negative etc.

You have what you have now. And it IS correct, I promise you. I manually imported them several times over the three forums. As I did a couple of test runs. And also broke a couple of live runs (you would remember us being down for a bit). So all in all did it a lot of times and got good at it lol

A simple thing like a 'like' import would have been one of the easier tasks I had to combat to transfer over our content.

Anyway. I'm not discussing it anymore. Keep the thread about the actual esteemed tag for me and I'll not keep sticking you in the baby monitor groups because I haven't got time for people to start a small war right now. I've got much much more important things to be getting on with for the sake of the forum as a whole. And not just the same 4 or 5 people that are left out of the clique.

That okay peeps? (rhetorical don't answer it). :cool::cool::cool::cool:

Alright I've had a look into this on the old system. The Agree and Disagree were NOT transferred over / made neutral. I think it's those that we discounted because of people abusing them.

The cliques (now slowly going so perhaps wont need to do something like that again) were following each other around clicking them which obviously alters the true figures.

It's funny for about a week. Then gets boring and alters true numbers.

The likes of Lucian and others who didn't have lots of those clicked, have near matching stats now.

I'm keeping an eye on what's being clicked on now. And I'll just simply add users who are abusing them to a usergroup that can't dish them out or receive them. Then they'll throw their dummy out the pram, and probably delete their own account. Or post a thread moaning about it and then say bye to get attention, like people do on facebook. But then that'll leave us with normal people.

It's all about the electrical advice peeps. :D

Edit: The system does appear to have broken though at the moment. So I'll rebuild it and reapply the tag once I've finished with more important things like the directory system on both here and plumbers.

Just a quick update on this

I've broken the system that automatically scans ratios. So I'm repairing it, it's right at the top of my list of things to do. Should be repaired before Monday. I've just got a lot on.

Thanks for your patience. :) :cool:o_O

What does the TA Badge mean? Territorial Army?
What does EF badge mean as well?
Electricians Forums

Thing is a lot of long standing members were here before the like system came into play.

So, all their posts before the forum had a "like" function are just weighing them down.

Maybe my last post now, but if the owner doesnt like you, with no reason, you're out.

Personally I think there should've been vote amongst members who should be entitled to esteemed member.
PMSL. You're about 12 years behind mate. We used to do that with a tag called Elite Member, Then VIP. Then Respected. All cliquey.

They're now dished out based on content and not who their mates are.
[automerge]1568491169[/automerge]
Thing is a lot of long standing members were here before the like system came into play.

So, all their posts before the forum had a "like" function are just weighing them down.

Maybe my last post now, but if the owner doesnt like you, with no reason, you're out.
Absolute -------s.

I haven't deleted or banned a member in years mate.

They delete themselves these days.

I'll close this thread it's run it's course.

The only ones going are the ones causing issues on the forum. And we help them by showing them where the delete it. But we don't do it anymore mate. Don't need to. It's too easy make them spit their dummy and click it lol
[automerge]1568491320[/automerge]

Rob is still butt hurt about losing his green tag for swearing at new members.

You're now in the Baby Monitor group so your posts wont go live before being checked. And I've told the mods not rush off the bog to check them for you. :)

You know where the delete button is matey. :D

See you later if you're off. - We wont have any of those "I'm going please nurture me" threads that end up with them never leaving lol

:D:D:D:D:D

Always been a -------- in my eyes you have, and you're still here mate. :D
[automerge]1568493192[/automerge]
Rob says he's off. Blames me apparently. I blame the drink. Once again I've said nowt but the truth lol

Bless the little sausage. :D

Last edited:
However the system works , there will always be someone just the wrong side of the line , life .
(If we are to move away from the click - it has to be automated ... )
I though my stats had a long way to go than I saw Dan's !
12k3 : 2k7 Dan
2k : 500 Me Ish .. Envy can break friendships

Staff never do well usually.

That said on tilers we have a guy on staff with 16,000 posts and 22,000 likes.

We lost some on this forum. But I didn't lol that me. I don't post here except rollockings so nobody likes those posts. :D

I have a big chin mate don't worry about me.

Some forums have Owner badges or Founder badges or go for all the badges like Admin, Mod, SuperMod, SuperAdmin, Staff, Owner, Founder - etc. Not for me badges. I'd remove the staff one if it didn't then remove some tools I need lol

No drink over here, I'm 6 hours behind Dan.

Now I'm swearing at new members? Come on, if you have a reason for not liking me, at least make it honest.

I don't know you so don't have an opinion on you.

But your posts, always assuming what's going on behind the scenes, are what annoy me. And get you stuck in the baby monitor.

Why didn't you leave? When you said you were going?

Attention? - Can't stand attention seekers.

I forgot you even existed until earlier. Why would I dislike you?

Can't remember what it was you lost your badge for, but it was for something. Staff all chip in on the decisions mate. I don't always go around just removing well established badges. There would have been a reason. And if it's one we give you and end up getting loads of bitching about it, sometimes we don't give them you either. We're not obliged to.

Now sod off. Or be nice. :D

If you're not going, you will be in the baby monitor for a long time. And your posts may take days to go through if I'm busy.

So just go if you want to go mate. Delete button is up top. :)

Well, accusing me of slander an then literally 2 posts ago in this thread swearing at new members?!

I realise now you're not even going to allow this to be posted. You're making things up an that's ok.

I thaught I contributed something decent in the past 7 years of being a member.

Either way, I'd appreciate it if you posted this to let people know why I'm leaving, no sob story. It's a forum, but I have friends here an wouldn't want them thinking I'd just died

Nobody gets special treatment. Post today once or 20000 times a year for 20 years, it doesn't change anything. If you're being a bit of a troll. That will be the issue regardless.

You're welcome to go or stay.

Just drop this now will you it's 2 hours past tomorrow here.

The Esteemed badge is good for new members, as it gives them a quick indication of which members know their stuff.
Us that have been here for a bit will have our own personal list. I have Tel, Pete999, Rob, SC, DPG, Westward.. to mention a few.
If it's about knowledge then maybe, as already mentioned above, the HaHa reaction should not count towards this.

The Esteemed badge is good for new members, as it gives them a quick indication of which members know their stuff.
Us that have been here for a bit will have our own personal list. I have Tel, Pete999, Rob, SC, DPG, Westward.. to mention a few.
If it's about knowledge then maybe, as already mentioned above, the HaHa reaction should not count towards this.
You're bang on there mate. The haha is now neutral.

I
You're bang on there mate. The haha is now neutral.
FFS that's the half of my count wiped out :)

Reply to Esteemed Member Tag Now Available (Automatically Dished Out) in the ElectriciansForums.net News and Updates area at ElectriciansForums.net