Discuss Ethernet and Power cable to be run underground in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm going to be wiring up my garden office with power and ethernet underground and I need advice on the best way to run the cables as I have read that you should not run power and ethernet in the same conduit, so the questions I have are:
What sort of shielded conduit would you recommend for this if I were to run them side by side?
Would it be better to run each one down a different side of the garden?
How deep should I dig down for the cables to be safe?

thanks,
M

Why say that? Both insulation rated to the highest voltage present

If that was the only consideration then that would be fine.

But there is interference to be considered, SWA doesn't have complete shielding due to the gaps between the armour strands. So for particular types or strengths of interference it will not prevent noise in the mains cable from interfering with the data.

It is unlikely to occur in a domestic installation, but not impossible, therefore I say it is unlikely to be an issue.

Very little does have complete shielding, most SY CY is worse than SWA. If the OP is unnecessarily paranoid about that, use a foil wrapped cat 6 but the uplift in cost of that and the equipment would be a waste in this instance IMO.

Thanks to everyone for your help.
I have this for the ethernet: https://amzn.eu/d/dkpy9cX and possibly this for the electrical:

Would these be ok?
M

Thanks to everyone for your help.
I have this for the ethernet: https://amzn.eu/d/dkpy9cX and possibly this for the electrical:

Would these be ok?
M

You need to ask the electrician who will be doing the work to calculate what size cable is required for the power.

They will be responsible for certifying the work so they need to make that decision.

Rather than digging two trenches a reasonable compromise would be laying them a couple of inches apart in one trench.
This is what I did a couple of months ago. Trench dug with 8" bucket, SWA laid in direct and green duct for underground Cat5E.
Went along the trench with a length of 4" x 1", pushing the end between cable and duct every couple of metres, turning the wood through 90 degrees to spread them apart and pushing a little earth back in the trench with the side of my foot to keep them in place.

Realistically the two cables in one duct will be fine as the power has an earthed armour to keep any noise and danger down to small levels. But the Ethernet has to be outdoor rated, and ideally armoured. Unlike analogue phone lines, Ethernet is very tolerant of electrical noise and any surge voltages (maybe less so with PoE).

If you have any doubts then doing with fibre is an option, you can get pre-made cables to the length you want and in outdoor/duct rated types, and the SFP and switch or media adaptors needed at the ends are relatively cheap now. True you might not need 10G yet, but if installed as fibre it is just an end point change away!

As pc1966 said I'd use fibre. I put underground CAT 5 all round my own site a few years back and it's been nothing but trouble for anything other than very short runs.
I'm adding fibre now. CST-armoured OM3 is cheap, and you can lay it right next to any power cables, but you need to learn how to terminate it. Otherwise buy pre-terminated lengths, run it in a duct alongside your direct-buried power SWA, put a fibre-to-RJ45 adaptor at each end. It will just work, and at amazing speed.
Copper is on the way out. If you do use copper, at least put it in a duct. Duct is the only truly future proof medium!
Enjoy your digging :)

Absolutely, I have decided to move my fibre terminating box thing and router from the house to the workshop.
50m of preterminated armoured fibre was about £60

Reply to Ethernet and Power cable to be run underground in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net