Discuss Ethernet woes… hmmm what to do! in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Running an Ethernet cable to my outdoor studio. I did this successfully before using cat 5 but cable severed. Run a new cable cat 6e. This cable is terminated at two Ethernet sockets one in the house the other in the studio.
No signal, tested the connections using an Ethernet tester, the one with eight lights and a ground. No lights. Thought I pulled the cable too hard, bought another cable also cat 6e, tested that withe same sockets, no lights again.
Treble checked my wires are firmly in place and correctly colour coded, identical both ends. No lights at all. Tested the tester on a spare Ethernet cable, this works.

Completely flummoxed now.

Do I have the wrong sockets? Are cat 5 and cat 6 cables incompatible?

can anyone help please?

Z

Can you post a picture of the termination?

Question, are all Ethernet sockets the same wiring standard, I know there are two standards for wire colors, but if one has two random ethernet sockets wires so the cable colors are identically connected at both ends, would this mean that any Ethernet socket would work with any other?

Than you all
Z

I wonder if you've used the tool the wrong way round? Something is definitely wrong.

Temporarily remove the wires from one of the sockets. Cut a short length of your network cable and punch it down exactly as.you did before. Use a multimeter to do a continuity test between the bare ends of the wires and the terminals on the socket.

@DPG's test is valid but you might be able to go one further, if you have a multimeter or continuity tester, and confirm whether the IDC connections to your cable runs are making contact as they are. Gently, without pulling too much on the wire, strip the last few mm of insulation from some of those overhanging ends. Then test for continuity between the stripped end and the visible part of the contact fork in the punchdown terminal slot.

If there is continuity between wire and terminal, then either there is no continuity along the cable or the modules are faulty and lacking continuity between terminal and socket contact. You could put a jumper cable between two sockets and test to the forks. If no continuity between the ends, check for continuity along the drain wires e.g. by linking the two at one end and testing between then at the other.

If you have no multimeter, try using a short length of cable to interconnect two sockets and then test between them with the network cable tester.

Believe it or not, this is the first time I've seen UTP cable without tracer colours on the white wires! Is that normal?
It's wired unconventionally colour wise, but I guess if it's the same both ends, that shouldn't matter.

Given the whites don't seem to have obvious tracer colours, are you absolutely sure the correct white that is twisted with each colour is in the appropriate adjacent slot?

Edit - looking more closely, perhaps I do see tracers. Must get eyes tested! 🤪

Last edited:
I guess if it's the same both ends, that shouldn't matter.
Provided the pairs are not split, which would mangle the transmission performance. Pairs split the same way at both ends would test OK on a simple blinkenlights continuity tester, but fail to carry data.

t568b-keystone-jack-rj45.jpg

it looks like you have wired green + green/wht the wrong way round
also brown + brown/wht

also, it is normal to leave the pairs twisted until they get to the terminal.

it is not the same as a simple multi core cable, if you get the cores the wrong way round, even if you have continuity between all the correct pins, you will still not get a stable data connection.

Thank you all for your support. I just could not get this working, so substituted a cat 5e cable and it’s now all working. I am getting 135 mob per second , however virgin is going down all day off and on, confirmed by neighbours. Big outages over London. Alls well that ends well.
thank you all again for your efforts.

Running an Ethernet cable to my outdoor studio. I did this successfully before using cat 5 but cable severed. Run a new cable cat 6e. This cable is terminated at two Ethernet sockets one in the house the other in the studio.
No signal, tested the connections using an Ethernet tester, the one with eight lights and a ground. No lights. Thought I pulled the cable too hard, bought another cable also cat 6e, tested that withe same sockets, no lights again.
Treble checked my wires are firmly in place and correctly colour coded, identical both ends. No lights at all. Tested the tester on a spare Ethernet cable, this works.

Completely flummoxed now.

Do I have the wrong sockets? Are cat 5 and cat 6 cables incompatible?

can anyone help please?

Z
Cat6 are supposed to be backwards compatible with Cat5. This might help... Differences Between CAT5e, CAT6 & CAT6a Cables | 4Cabling - https://www.4cabling.co.nz/blog/CAT5e-vs-CAT6-vs-CAT6a-whats-the-difference.html

Reply to Ethernet woes… hmmm what to do! in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net