Discuss Extractors & fuses in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

O

Octopus

All

I attended the Elecsa update in Woking last night - useful as it was there was one "thing" that stood out was their emphasis on extractor fans being fused down to the "manufacturers instructions".

So given that 90%+ of fans suggest fusing down to 3A, and given that most will need live and switched live, and (as far as I know) there is no such thing as a fan isolator switch with 2 fuses in it, how do other members deal with this?

Most cowboy installs seem to ignore the requirement for an isolation switch anyway.

Did they say why they felt the need to protect the fan with a 3amp BS 1362 fuse, and why the 6amp (normal) protection device on the light circuit was not adequate.

They emphasised that installation of fans (and any other product) should ALWAYS be to the manufacturers instructions so if it says fuse down to 3A, then that's what we should do. Not always practical or possible.!

I know our regs say we must follow the manufacters instructions, but I would lay my pension on a 6amp MCB tripping before a 3amp BS 1362 fuse even thinks about it .......................just seems that the schemes are following everything parrot fashion.

Unless you wire the fan off the light using the switch wire of the light to trigger the fan,I see little problem with the means to fuse down the fan, as per the silly manufacturers instructions

Given I never use the level of light to determine the need for ventilation,I have never had this problem (independent operation of the fan in my case by a seperate pull cord or such)

If a system was required to be triggered by the light,then a switched fused spur before the light supply would seem to be the means to do so,if it isn't then a switched fused spur to feed the fan + controls

well its the perm live that is always fused..... just get the job done and go home and ratlle your hobbies, lifes to short for numbskulls to dictate it and complicate it as the part p doctor says electrics aint difficult;) but he doesnt mention the regs as being a piece of pis

if everybody employed a punkah wallah, the dole queue would be nil.

Reply to Extractors & fuses in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net