Discuss Extranous conductive parts or exposed in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Would this count as inside the equipotential zone?
That term isn't used in the regs but I take it to mean a location where a different potential could be introduced via an extraneous conductive part.
From your photo's I'd say you aren't in a position where a potential can be introduced from something sunk into the ground when you are stood on that same ground.

I'd work on the basis you have simultaneously available exposed conductive parts.

Reg 410.3.2 suggests that additional protection wouldn't be required notwithstanding special locations or external influences, so doing nothing at all seems to be a valid option.

The next step would be to apply section 415 anyway, and without RCD protection you end up providing supplementary bonding between all of the exposed conductive parts, sized according to 544.2.1

I'm not immediately seeing any mandate in the regs to go a further step and add all accessible metalwork to the bonding. I'll happily be corrected though.

I also can't help wondering if it wouldn't be a lot simpler to sort out the RCD protection for everything in the area. I'd also try and avoid the post staying as an exposed conductive part if at all possible.

Would this count as inside the equipotential zone
No it would,nt.And you also can,t turn it in to one.The standard bonding used in a home to achieve an equipotential zone won,t work outside.
Even within the home its only truly achieveable where wooden floors and dry walls are present.Neither of these occur outside.

The best you can achieve, as already mentioned is to bond simultaneousely accessible metalwork.And as Tim mentioned ,providing an rcd would be a huge addition to the level of protection.

Lastly ,as installations go, you could also take great comfort from your TN-S supply.It means you need not worry about the effects of an open PEN and metalwork staying live.If it was TT there could potentially be a significant voltage on the metal under fault conditions ,but this is also a non-issue for you.I would imagine that a fault in a TN-S supply system is the best possible scenario should a fault occur due to the excellent fault return path which should greatly reduce the touch voltage under fault conditions(I may be corrected here by fellow posters as I,m not familiar with the TN-S supply).

Reply to Extranous conductive parts or exposed in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net