Discuss Fast Track Course Worries in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello, for a while I’ve wanted to become an electrician and have applied to every apprenticeship possible and have never been successful and it’s sowmthing I really want to do so I’ve decided to do a fast track course however I’ve seen tons of people saying that it’s frowned upon and I’m just a bit worried because it’s something I really want to do but how else can I get into the industry if I can’t find any apprenticeships? My main issue is once I do the course will any company’s be willing to take me on?

If anyone who has done one of the courses has any advice I’d love to hear it as im spending a lot of money and worried no one is going to employ me afterwards

TL;DR
How hard is it to find work after fast track course?
I had a guy working for me on a casual basis wanted a career change but I wasn't able to offer him an apprenticeship. He went off and did a fast track and is now working for good money in London. He was very focussed and worked hard and I think you need to do that to succeed via this route. Having successfully completed training of your own accord can only improve your chances of finding employment...Good Luck!

Be CAREFUL there are a lot of scam so called collages out there, most seem to be based in Scotland for some reason, look at XS Training on the right hand side bar on this Forum they have good reviews from those on here who have used them.

Be CAREFUL there are a lot of scam so called collages out there, most seem to be based in Scotland for some reason, look at XS Training on the right hand side bar on this Forum they have good reviews from those on here who have used them.
I start with trade skills 4 you soon I saw they work with city and guilds and had good reviews just hoping it’s not a waste of money 🤞

I start with trade skills 4 you soon I saw they work with city and guilds and had good reviews just hoping it’s not a waste of money 🤞

Hi Adam, just saw this post and wanted to register and get feedback from you. I am in a difficult position myself trying to decide at 38 with 1 kid. It's not easy making a huge decision to change your career when you have a mortgage and bills to pay.

Glad you were able to find something for yourself and thanks for the update. I am in IT right now but I still haven't made my decision into what I want to do but stuck between maybe plumbing and electrics. They are supposed to be the best 2 paid trades.

I live close by to one centre and was wondering if it this would be a good one for electrical courses? Learn Trade Skills | C & G Electrical Courses and Training - https://learntradeskills.co.uk/

From what I have heard these fast track course's are just someone reading BS7671 at the assembled group, if they actually give you a C&G at the end of it that is someway towards a recognised qualification, but is no substitute to hands on experience, if I was looking for experience, I would go and I do mean go to as many local building sites in the area and ask to see the Site Agent, he could put you in touch with the electrical foreman who may take you on for no or mega pay to help out the electricians on site.

Also get this book: Practical Guide to Inspection, Testing and Certification of Electrical Installations It has C&G test papers and answers for you to practice on.

And don't forget there is no such thing as a Qualified Electrician, just registered on a competent persons scheme or member of one of the scam organisations.

Last edited:
From what I have heard these fast track course's are just someone reading BS7671 at the assembled group, if they actually give you a C&G at the end of it that is someway towards a recognised qualification, but is no substitute to hands on experience, if I was looking for experience, I would go and I do mean go to as many local building sites in the area and ask to see the Site Agent, he could put you in touch with the electrical foreman who may take you on for no or mega pay to help out the electricians on site.

Also get this book: Practical Guide to Inspection, Testing and Certification of Electrical Installations It has C&G test papers and answers for you to practice on.

And don't forget there is no such thing as a Qualified Electrician, just registered on a competent persons scheme or member of one of the scam organisations.
Thank you so much Mike. Really appreciate the advice. I find it hard to navigate through what a good course and what a bad course is being a nooby.

Lots of people like yourself are telling me to avoid fast track courses so I am trying to avoid that. I do definitely want something close by as to keep on attending that centre for training would be time consuming hence why I am considering this one.

Not sure if they would be considered fast tracked or not but I was looking into two different package with this centre. One of them apparently you can become a Domestic Installer and like you say register to a Competent Persons Scheme as a Domestic Installer. There is some evening options for that so I am considering it to avoid losing money from my current position. Do you think this might be a good way into the industry without a hard exit from what I am doing now? Professional Electricians Course Package - https://www.learntradeskills.co.uk/product/professional-electrical-course-package/

Alternatively, like you said there seems to be a package that makes you fully qualfied and hold an NVQ but that is full time and I am a bit reluctant to commit time for that Gold Card Electrical Course Package - Learn Trade Skills - https://www.learntradeskills.co.uk/product/gold-card-electrical-course/

Just don't want to be endlessly retraining at this age and divided on the options.

IMO any course that purports to make you a professional qualified electrician is to be avoided, as I said in my previous post there is no such professional qualification. Have a look at XS Training on the right hand side bar, they seem to get good reviews on the C&G route.

You are welcome, good luck, and do try the local site route to get some hands on experience, the practical side of electrical work is easy for anyone with some hand eye co-ordination, the technical aspects are explained well in the book I recommended above.

Reply to Fast Track Course Worries in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net