Discuss Feeder Wire - Wire Insulation is slightly under lug. Is this an issue? in the USA Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
This is a 2/0 CU Feeder wire coming into the main subpanel on a 200A service. There are no nicks in the copper wire and from the front side everything looks good.

IMG_5365.jpeg

IMG_5366.jpeg

But upon further inspection, the tiniest bit of wire insulation is under the lug on the back side.

IMG_5391.jpeg
IMG_5368.jpeg
IMG_5369.jpeg

Does this pose any type of threat for a bad connection or an unsafe electrical situation? Or is this completely safe and a non-issue?

This is a 2/0 CU Feeder wire coming into the main subpanel on a 200A service. There are no nicks in the copper wire and from the front side everything looks good.

View attachment 116227
View attachment 116228

But upon further inspection, the tiniest bit of wire insulation is under the lug on the back side.

View attachment 116229View attachment 116230View attachment 116231

Does this pose any type of threat for a bad connection or an unsafe electrical situation? Or is this completely safe and a non-issue?
I honestly don’t think that the very little bit that the picture shows doesn’t appear to be under the actual lug. If the lugs are torqued to specifications for the panel then you shouldn’t have any problems. Rest easy and Welcome to the forum.

I honestly don’t think that the very little bit that the picture shows doesn’t appear to be under the actual lug. If the lugs are torqued to specifications for the panel then you shouldn’t have any problems. Rest easy and Welcome to the forum.
In this picture, the wire insulation is definitely in between the wire and the lug at the bottom.

IMG_5391.jpeg

But higher up, where you torque it at the hex screw, there’s a solid connection between the hex screw, wire, and lug.

So you don’t think I’ll have any issues with the tiny bit of wire insulation in between the wire and lug at the bottom?

In this picture, the wire insulation is definitely in between the wire and the lug at the bottom.

View attachment 116232

But higher up, where you torque it at the hex screw, there’s a solid connection between the hex screw, wire, and lug.

So you don’t think I’ll have any issues with the tiny bit of wire insulation in between the wire and lug at the bottom?
Where it’s actually torqued is the main means of contact between the wire and the lug. That’s what’s important. Have a great day

Reply to Feeder Wire - Wire Insulation is slightly under lug. Is this an issue? in the USA Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net