Discuss few questions re rewires in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J.C.E

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi

Just got a few questions I have never been told a straight answer to, but just peoples opinions/ prefs..

For rewires do you have to use capping over your cables or is clipping and just plastering over on top perfectly acceptable if the cable is protected by a 30ma rcd?

Next question:

for socket points under worktops in kitchens, do you HAVE to have a spur above the work top to isolate? or is this just good practice? what if the worktop has a sink in it, not really much room to have a spur above the worktop, without being to close to the sink.

cheers for your time guys

Doesnt matter if it's protected by an RCD or not, capping is there to protect the cable from the plasterers tools. You dont need to use it, it doesnt provide mechanical protection for the cable. Some people use it, some dont.

Well if theres a sink above you could use a bank of switches sited together as is usually done these days.

Doesnt matter if it's protected by an RCD or not, capping is there to protect the cable from the plasterers tools. You dont need to use it, it doesnt provide mechanical protection for the cable. Some people use it, some dont.

Well if theres a sink above you could use a bank of switches sited together as is usually done these days.
But is there a reg that says you have to have any kind of switch above?

It's not fixed equipment and isolation is readily accessible by turning off the mcb in the board in the kitchen...

Don't forget that the regs are a minimum standard to work to. Not the only standard to work to. A good spark asks the customer which solution suits them best for ease of use.

In the days of RCD's and nuisance tripping, I wouldn't be relying on a MCB for isolation of equipment. DP isolation that IS accessible is the only way to install in a kitchen is the only option IMHO.

Far better. Fix using dedicated plastic clips, drilled and plugged into wall. Far easier to rewire if need be.

Hi tel, thats another reason why i was told to use cappin incase of future rewire. Theres no chance of pulling cables back through cappin, well proberly 1 in 50 chance. So just them U clips. Ill give that a bash in the future. Thanks Tel

Just out of interest, and I don't mean to hijack this thread, but how do these grid switches for appliances comply with the 2m isolation rule? I realise that there would be a socket nearer the appliance but if this is not accessible, then these switches could easily by more than 2m away from the appliance.

When i was on council rewires, we we required to use this oval conduit. The wall chaser cut the perfect chase width wise and the conduit used to fit snugly into the chase.

Reply to few questions re rewires in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net