Search the forum,

Discuss Finding myown work in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

cheers thats highlighted a major floor in my priceing, the thing is Im not as experienced as some out there and hense im a bit slower but probably a lot neater so I dont want to outprice myself.

whats the average hourly rate you all charge. I did a full rewire with one of my mates from college we charged my mate 1200 which I thought was a bit high

Most rewires cost much more than that. Standard 3 bed house round here with basic wiring patterns and plain white accessories would be knocking on 2 grand. Small 2 up 2 downs usually come in at around the 1500 mark.
My mate quoted for a 3 floor 4 bed victorian town house lately and ended up over 4 grand.

Another thing that stands out to me was: Serving a 2 year apprenticeship..... Whats a 2 year apprenticeship?!?!

well when I enrolled I was told that I would be able to complete the course with out working in the industry. After the first year I realised that this may be the case for some people but for me it was going to be beneficial. Mind you I had to work for free 3 days a week and then do mypaid job in the evening. This carried on in the third year as the government changed at it was compulsory. only 5 guys out 25 stayed onto complete the final year, everyone else struggled to find work, I only found it because I worked/slaved for zilch.

it was a 3 bedroom house and we got 600 each for 4 days work, mycollege mate did me a bigger favour then what I thought bythe looks of it. It kept my other mate happy as well.

I think im going to go for it

ive looked for previos threads that have helpfull advise as suggested by one ofthe first replies but cant say im finding anything particuarly helpfull.

I think the most important thing has got to be

1. how you are with customers, polite friendly reliable etc
2. how neat your work is and wether youve taken pride in it
3. how tidy u leave there house, it pays to be seen with the hoover out im sure

It was deffo the C&G2330 it was 3 years long and I had to complete a site diary along side it. unfortunately it was really hard to find an employer as when i startedthe course i was already 24. I did it tho although I had to work for free in the day as an electrician and then paid in the evening as a porter.

lofty84;453299 I think the most important thing has got to be 1. how you are with customers said:
Incorrect.

1) Can you complete the work and leave the installation in a safe condition so as not to endanger those using it?
2) Do you know how to prove this by the inspection, testing and certification procedure?
3) Do you have the insurances REQUIRED BY LAW in case of things going wrong?
Your customer service skills come a very poor second to the foregoing imho

I too am starting up on my own at the moment, and am facing the challenge of finding work. I can get maybe 10 days work a month labour only from a friend which is really helping out, but really need my own customers. As an initial promotion drive I'm gonna do the following:

Leaflet the houses in the local area over the next few weeks. I'm thinking about 4000 in total, home printed to save money.
Drop my business cards and leaflets to all local shops and businesses, hoping for cards to be picked up by customers and any trade from the shops themselves.
Personal introduction to landlords/letting agents/builders etc to get my name and face out there.
Start a facebook group for my business to get word of mouth to my friends and family and their circles of friends.
Sending letters off to larger electrical contractors to hopefully get work as a sub-contractor.
Eventually a website will be built as extra advertising.

Hope this gives you some ideas on initial promotion. I could also use any advice that anyone else may have, so I'll be watching this thread.

Leaflet the houses in the local area over the next few weeks. I'm thinking about 4000 in total, home printed to save money.

Really, do you think that buying ink cartridges will be cheaper??

Out of interest, how much did you budget for marketing in your first year?

Reply to Finding myown work in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net