Discuss Finding myown work in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

lofty84

I would like to start my own little comapny, whilst I like the the perks of being on the cards (sick pay, holidays etc) its hard to find a company that is willing to give you a perminant contract, my experiences say to me that they would sooner take you on on a self employed basis so they dont have the hassle and commitment that comes with haveing a permanent employee which is fair enough.

I think being my own boss will really suit me, im great with customers/clients and rather like the idea of only having myself to answer to, deciding what time I start and finish and how far awayfrom home Im prepared to travel. When your with a company if they have a job that is 2 hrs away you have to go to it even if it means leaveing at six and not getting back in untill 2 hours after u finish for the day. obviously this is all free time you give to the comapny.

At the moment I am currently working for a guy on self employeed basis haveing recently registered as self employeed, and he charges me out at a hourly rate which allows him to make a little something on me and give me a weekly wage. I dont have a problem with this as he finds the work and all ive got to do is complete the job so its fairly low stress and im learning under hiswind so to speak. I cant help thinking though that if I just bit the bullet and started to look for my own work eventually I would be better off. Im currently takeing home ÂŁ300 a week. Im not the fastest electrician out there nor do I have alot of experience but I have served a 2 year apprenticeship whilst completeing my C&G 2330 and have also acheived my 2382 and as I say am pretty confident with my customer skills.

I am not partp registered or part of a scheme but plan to register with one by the end ofthe year. My boss at the moment has kindly said that if I decide to try and find my own work I can say that I am doing it in accordance with his company, which is very good of him. It will enable me to take on part p work (bathrooms and kitchens) and complete certificates.

I dont have a van unfortunatley but I dont think that means I cant start a business, its something I can work towards and get in the future, it might look a bit unprofesional turning up in a car but I can always explain to the customer that I am just starting out on my own and hopefully in time if I do well and am driven I will have one.

admitably I still turn up for jobs and become confussed but the way I see it I can do the basics like adding sockets, cookers, lighting, additional circuits etc, and Ive been told anything I am not to sure about I can ask him and he will either come and help me or tell me what I need to do which again is very nice of him. The best way to learn is to get out there on my own I feel and give it a go seeing as I have this security. He has offered to help me price jobs etc etc as well

I know guys do an 8week course and then go about finding there own work as some probably make more the ÂŁ300 a week.

I live in surrey and was thinking of chargeing myself out @ 12 an hour (cash of course) so I can tryand make ÂŁ100 a day. Even if work is slow and I can only find 3 days work each week, at least I am earning in three days what I use to earn in 5.

what do u think, should I go for it and make some business cards, flyers to post through people letter boxes and see what happens. surely ive got nothing to loose... and I will only become a better electrician haveing to solve problems hands on, not haveing someone to help you out.

ÂŁ12 ph is way too low mate. You have a think about all the expenses it will take for you to earn that ÂŁ100 per day then you'll have a better idea.

If you're worried about the lack of having a van, just don't park your car right outside the clients house. Park maybe 1 street away, and if you need to return to it for kit or tools during the job just say... 'I need to go to my vehicle'. That way, you're not lying about having a van, and not drawing attention to the fact you have a car. Simples :smoking:

Good luck with it, whatever you end up deciding.

Flyerings not a bad tactic, been doing abit myself latley and had afew jobs from 4-500 so far.

Try searching "help finding electrical work" on this forum, someones posted about getting the work in, i found that helpful.

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Tapatalk

Things that stand out in your post:

I'm not part P but "I am doing it in accordance with his company" ??
No van
No insurance
Cash of course
No mention of insurance
Tools
Tester & calibration
I could go on....

There are loads of posts here about starting up and the costs etc.

Sorry for asking to obvious but will you be touting for business, cash in hand down the pub??

I just thought @ 12 ph I should appeal to a lot of people, maybee I should look at ÂŁ15 ph, Im not sure what the standard is but I should imagine ÂŁ25 to ÂŁ30 so straight awayim half pric. as I say im not the fastest electerician in the world but with time Im sure that will come. I concider my self a bit of a perfectionist and have worked for one firm who were pretty slap dash so I no although quite slow I do a proper job that looks good.

What you need to thinks about is the fact that when HMRC come knocking, which they will, your hourly rate is enough to cover your business overheads, and your NI/tax - so your ÂŁ12.00 suddenly becomes about ÂŁ6 per hour - so you may as well work at Tesco's

Seeing as im starting out yes it could be a possible avenue to explore murdoch. thanks x

Obviously I will get insurance so that if I damage there property, I dont know falling through there attic floor for example I am covered. (would u still charge the customer for the work you did though as the damage is covered on the insurance?) awkward one

As i said I dont think not haveing a van will mean I will be a bad electrician, yes it will no doubt look unprofesional but I will make up for that with my charm explaining that im just starting out on the self employed route and hoepfully the dont judge me on this lol. As I say im really polite friendly and reliable, a bit of a perfectionist and always pay attention to the cleanliness and tidyness that i leave there propert in. hopefully they judge me on this and my manners and not the fact I dont have a van, although if you were the customer I would have probabaly lost that one. ps I have car insurancce and already say i use it for work.

I wont lie I do like cash but would not turn down card cheque or bank payments obviously in time I would put my prices upif I wasnt being paid cash.

in regards to tools, I have the basics if there is a job that requires the use of tools I dont have, rods for example I could posibbley try and price these into the job. Ill always be trying to add to these any way, i mean I would really like a lazer level but not haveing one shouldnt stop me that muchm, or will it?

I will need to buy a tester but I might be able to borrow a friends to start with just for a few jobs so I can go and get my owm, saves me forking out incase things dont take of.

Im not part of a scheme and i think its a testiment to my work and standasrds that he is prepared to let me do work in accordance with his comapny to get around this, maybee hes a nice guy trying to help someone get started, i will be on a sheme by the end of the year

please do go on tough as its very helpfull to be honest with you

cheers thats highlighted a major floor in my priceing, the thing is Im not as experienced as some out there and hense im a bit slower but probably a lot neater so I dont want to outprice myself.

whats the average hourly rate you all charge. I did a full rewire with one of my mates from college we charged my mate 1200 which I thought was a bit high

Things that stand out in your post:

I'm not part P but "I am doing it in accordance with his company" ??
No van
No insurance
Cash of course
No mention of insurance
Tools
Tester & calibration
I could go on....

There are loads of posts here about starting up and the costs etc.

Sorry for asking to obvious but will you be touting for business, cash in hand down the pub??

Another thing that stands out to me was: Serving a 2 year apprenticeship..... Whats a 2 year apprenticeship?!?!

cheers thats highlighted a major floor in my priceing, the thing is Im not as experienced as some out there and hense im a bit slower but probably a lot neater so I dont want to outprice myself.

whats the average hourly rate you all charge. I did a full rewire with one of my mates from college we charged my mate 1200 which I thought was a bit high

Most rewires cost much more than that. Standard 3 bed house round here with basic wiring patterns and plain white accessories would be knocking on 2 grand. Small 2 up 2 downs usually come in at around the 1500 mark.
My mate quoted for a 3 floor 4 bed victorian town house lately and ended up over 4 grand.

Another thing that stands out to me was: Serving a 2 year apprenticeship..... Whats a 2 year apprenticeship?!?!

well when I enrolled I was told that I would be able to complete the course with out working in the industry. After the first year I realised that this may be the case for some people but for me it was going to be beneficial. Mind you I had to work for free 3 days a week and then do mypaid job in the evening. This carried on in the third year as the government changed at it was compulsory. only 5 guys out 25 stayed onto complete the final year, everyone else struggled to find work, I only found it because I worked/slaved for zilch.

it was a 3 bedroom house and we got 600 each for 4 days work, mycollege mate did me a bigger favour then what I thought bythe looks of it. It kept my other mate happy as well.

I think im going to go for it

ive looked for previos threads that have helpfull advise as suggested by one ofthe first replies but cant say im finding anything particuarly helpfull.

I think the most important thing has got to be

1. how you are with customers, polite friendly reliable etc
2. how neat your work is and wether youve taken pride in it
3. how tidy u leave there house, it pays to be seen with the hoover out im sure

It was deffo the C&G2330 it was 3 years long and I had to complete a site diary along side it. unfortunately it was really hard to find an employer as when i startedthe course i was already 24. I did it tho although I had to work for free in the day as an electrician and then paid in the evening as a porter.

lofty84;453299 I think the most important thing has got to be 1. how you are with customers said:
Incorrect.

1) Can you complete the work and leave the installation in a safe condition so as not to endanger those using it?
2) Do you know how to prove this by the inspection, testing and certification procedure?
3) Do you have the insurances REQUIRED BY LAW in case of things going wrong?
Your customer service skills come a very poor second to the foregoing imho

I too am starting up on my own at the moment, and am facing the challenge of finding work. I can get maybe 10 days work a month labour only from a friend which is really helping out, but really need my own customers. As an initial promotion drive I'm gonna do the following:

Leaflet the houses in the local area over the next few weeks. I'm thinking about 4000 in total, home printed to save money.
Drop my business cards and leaflets to all local shops and businesses, hoping for cards to be picked up by customers and any trade from the shops themselves.
Personal introduction to landlords/letting agents/builders etc to get my name and face out there.
Start a facebook group for my business to get word of mouth to my friends and family and their circles of friends.
Sending letters off to larger electrical contractors to hopefully get work as a sub-contractor.
Eventually a website will be built as extra advertising.

Hope this gives you some ideas on initial promotion. I could also use any advice that anyone else may have, so I'll be watching this thread.

Leaflet the houses in the local area over the next few weeks. I'm thinking about 4000 in total, home printed to save money.

Really, do you think that buying ink cartridges will be cheaper??

Out of interest, how much did you budget for marketing in your first year?

Reply to Finding myown work in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net