Discuss Fire Alarm advice in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi

After some advice on a fire alarm system.

A company wants me to install some smoke detectors and heat detectors in a ground floor office space they rent. At present they have 2 x manual call points which are linked back to a communal panel that also feeds basement, 1st, 2nd and 3rd floor zones the panel is maintained by another company who do weekly tests.

So what's the best way to go about installing smoke alarms and heat alarms?

Thanks

Is the panel addressable or not? I'm guessing not for flats, if so you can find the last device whip out the eol device and carry on the circuit(s) then put the eol device back in the last one.

Quite a basic question tbh if you don't know maybe sub some one in who does and learn from him
If the original call points are up to spec ( cabling location ,supports etc ) check what make and wire in some generic smoke detectors ( Apollo fits most if it's a conventional )need to check void heights and coverage and wire into it like a radial with call point with eol resistor at the end ( to make it easy )
If it's addressable get someone in
Hope that helps

I would also be asking what agreement/contract this other company has with your customer... will your work void any reports they issued to cover insurance and/or would liasing with them to ensure their paperwork is upto date be needed.

Is the panel addressable or not? I'm guessing not for flats, if so you can find the last device whip out the eol device and carry on the circuit(s) then put the eol device back in the last one.

To what grade would this be to..? and to who`s design/risk assessment..?..What about sounders & sound levels..?..What happens if the system is Bi wire, Twin wire or Twinfex system, you will damage the system and cost lives.

Quite a basic question tbh if you don't know maybe sub some one in who does and learn from him
If the original call points are up to spec ( cabling location ,supports etc ) check what make and wire in some generic smoke detectors ( Apollo fits most if it's a conventional )need to check void heights and coverage and wire into it like a radial with call point with eol resistor at the end ( to make it easy )
If it's addressable get someone in
Hope that helps

There are many systems, that are wired as conventional but do not work on the same principle ...Twin wire, Bi wire and Twin flex for starters. So Apollo are not going to work here, infact the will prevent the system from working altogether.

Firstly decide if you are capable of the installation, alongside the risk assessment report. Check what system has been fitted and to what Grade & Category. The system will then need to be designed as drawings will be required by BS5839 as part of the design, Install and commissioning Certification. The whole system must now meet any new requirements raise in a category upgrade, as you are now responsible for the complete system. This will involve detection and sound pressure throughout all areas.

Thanks for getting back to me.

The panel is Haes conventional panel and I have seen Apollo in use in other areas.

definitely having second thoughts now you have mentioned those things now taz I think its best I leave it to the company that maintain the panel.

cheers.

Or work with them, offer to install the cable. We are always happy when the sparks offer their services, save labour for us.
Being a Haes, proves a point I made earlier...this panel works in 2 modes, Conventional and Twin wire, and can be selected in the panel by dip switches. The apollo sensors are ok here, but the bases are special Apollo sav-wire bases. This allows sounders on the same circuit, if a normal Apollo 65 base were to be fitted, the system wouldn`t work.

Reply to Fire Alarm advice in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net