Discuss Fire panel height in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Anyone know what height a fire alarm panel should be mounted. Just a basic off the shelf 4 zone panel. Plenty of information on call points and heads but contradicting heights found for DDA.

How unhelpful that answer was a bit of an empty dream........
I've been given a box to tube to and I'm asking a simple question. I don't see it in BS76671 But electricians are asked to mount cabinets etc.
The clue is in the q
[automerge]1597412725[/automerge]
The clue is in the question.
"Anyone know what height a fire alarm panel should be mounted"

How unhelpful that answer was a bit of an empty dream........
I've been given a box to tube to and I'm asking a simple question. I don't see it in BS76671 But electricians are asked to mount cabinets etc.
The clue is in the q
[automerge]1597412725[/automerge]
The clue is in the question.
"Anyone know what height a fire alarm panel should be mounted"

Post 2 is a fair question.

Quick goggle search - I haven't a copy of BS5839:1 - doesn't suggest a specific height, but like most things, Part M might be one to comply with. So I'd say display panel at 1400m max from ffl.

There, some discussion time. :)

5839-1, Clause 20 stipulates 1.4m from finished floor level for MCPs bit nothing for control panels themselves so it is down to your engineering judgement while factoring in Part M.

I would do a survey of the building users, likelyhood of any staff or building users being unable to reach above 1.4m (I would look to mount between 1.4m and 1.6 personally) and make a decision. So long as you can backup your decision on front of the dude (or dudette) in the curly wig, I wouldn't worry too much.

the answer depends on the installation type, is this simply for the building occupier to react to, reset test etc or is this sited for 3rd party information like the fire brigade to identify the location of said fire.
Anyone installing, designing and/or signing off a system should by fully knowledged in the relevant standards, where a specific height isn't given in regulation then you must use a logical approach which reflects the installation, occupants and any 3rd party that may need to refer to the panel.

Questions about your part in this query are therefore relevant and an idea of the installation etc mentioned above could change the advice given given that this is a safety critical system as the industry is heavily regulated.

If this is not a basic domestic install for which having a fire panel would suggest it isn't then either you are installing this under instruction of a designer who will tell you what the mounting height is as they will have taken all the above into consideration, if you are designing, installing and signing this installation off then I would have expected the query to be worded different and reflect you cannot fine the relevant info in the BS 5839 - this is not covered by the BS 7671 and you need to be very careful if you haven't taken the relevant courses, you should at minimum be having the install designed and signed off by a competent person if you wish to do the install yourself.

I personally have my bigger installs designed and signed off by others, I do the install and go on the courses for the fire alarm manufacturers to protect my arse in future maintenance and testing... gone are the days when you could simply pick up a fire alarm panel and install it, you now need to liase and local fire services, building control etc in anything bigger than a simple domestic install.

My being so obtuse to this was to gain whether the OP was designing and installing this with insufficient knowledge.

My being so obtuse to this was to gain whether the OP was designing and installing this with insufficient knowledge.
I think the OP failed to realise the relevance of your posts, since the big inferno of that tower block the industry has become a minefield of compliance and documentation requirements, the responses and original query do promote the need to establish what part the OP plays in this install.

Is there such a height in bs5839-1?
Manual call points are 1400 to centre but I’ve not seen a panel height.
We never do the design tho.

Reply to Fire panel height in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net