Discuss Fire rated db in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Do all new circuits in domestic property now need to be in fire rated db? Only adding one circuit for solar pv?

No the reg 421.1.201 for non combustible consumer units/enclosures doesn't come in to force until jan 1st 2016. I think that's what you mean by fire rated DB?

Edit: even when it does come in to force you can still add a new circuit to an existing board without having to upgrade the CCU to a non combustible 1.

Last edited:
Do all new circuits in domestic property now need to be in fire rated db? Only adding one circuit for solar pv?
only if you're fitting a new DB does it need to comply with 3rd amendment.

Whilst on the subject of PV circuits...

ive got to change my board in my house in a week or two, anyway, when I had the PV fitted in Jan they insisted it went on a non rcd protected circuit, I did that for them but when I change it, I was going to put it on an RCBO but am not 100% sure if I will end up with it tripping with an inrush or something else affecting it? I have seen a thread on here about this before.

can you get a Type C RCBO like you cb an MCB? Not sure if it would help or make any difference.

ive got to change my board in my house in a week or two, anyway, when I had the PV fitted in Jan they insisted it went on a non rcd protected circuit, I did that for them but when I change it, I was going to put it on an RCBO but am not 100% sure if I will end up with it tripping with an inrush or something else affecting it? I have seen a thread on here about this before.

can you get a Type C RCBO like you cb an MCB? Not sure if it would help or make any difference.

check the the manufactures instructions of the inverter with regards to putting it on an RCD. I take it the installation method doesn't warrant it to be on an RCD or it already would be?

If it needs RCD protection then they should have fitted the RCD when it was installed.
I'm not sure how you can RCD protect that cable though as there is a source of supply at both ends of it.

I have no idea, I've not looked at the manufacturers data as yet, i bet it says RCD it.

I put the circuit in for them as I wanted the circuit routed a certain way, it's just clipped to the wall, no need for RCD.

I have no idea, I've not looked at the manufacturers data as yet, i bet it says RCD it.

I put the circuit in for them as I wanted the circuit routed a certain way, it's just clipped to the wall, no need for RCD.

But how are you going to achieve the disconnection times for the rcd? There are two sources of supply, one at each end of the cable. So how will you disconnect both sources within 40mS on a 5xIdN current

It is unlikely that it needs an RCD.
if you did need an RCD then because of the possibility of dc current reaching the RCD it should be a type B RCDRCD B type.jpg
(not a type B MCB) (possibly a type ARCD A type.jpg) that is sensitive to dc currents as well as ac current.
As an aside you can get type C RCBOs, though I do not know if you can get an a or B RCD B type.jpgtype RCD along with a C type MCB in one package.

Reply to Fire rated db in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net