Discuss Flash bang wallop what a picture in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Last edited:
Now I feel sick. :-( That's really horrible, wish I hadn't seen that.

sorry Steve I have just edited the post to warn members of the graphic nature, didn't think about it enough.
Paul well said, I think I will wait to see if I get shot down for this, and if so I will get the thread closed

Its an old vid..... lack of full PPE kit while he is racking the breaker in is suicidal... a remote racking option exists but judging by the lack of H&S i assume they wouldn't have bothered.... also to note is lack of EM lighting in a mains room.

Lots of rumours about this one even that the 2nd bloke died of the inhaled poisonous fumes filling the room.

seem to remember this one being posted a year or so ago.

Arghh thats horrible.
I have heard of such things happening while racking in/out but never actually seen anything like that.
Be quite happy not to again!

While doing HV training we did some manual racking on some real old gear and I must say its hard going on some of them even if you are fairly fit.
Very easy to run out of puff!

you've lost memate

Haha sorry, the vid glen posted is a training video that was made in the wake of an electrician being killed while he was testing a large panel. The short version is he used a tester that wasn't rated for the voltage he was working on.

The vid you first posted was of a different incident, but I thought glens vid was the aftermath of your vid.

Clear as mud? Lol

We use this stuff as part of H&S for students. Without having to show people being sprayed with molten copper busbars, blinded by UV flash burns, suffocated by lethal fumes, basically being blown up; GEC produce a video of what happens when you get it wrong and don't use the correct fuses.... Its dangerous stuff and as they say, familiarity breeds contempt,

arc flash is a very serious danger and can have really horrid results.
we dont even rack them in unless the power is off.
(****es the management off but keeps us alive)

Errr, it should be impossible to rack any breaker in while switched in the ON position, be it LV, MV or HV.

Arc flash has nothing to do with loading, and in this instance, is normally caused by arcing between moving contacts and the resulting Corona finding a path to earth across contaminated insulation, either by humidity or dust build-up or a combination of both!! When racking MV/HV, you can hear the arcing between the moving contacts as they come closer together, the quicker you get them engaged the better!! lol!!

Sorry to be a bit naive but what is racking?

Not naive at all its a totally different area to what your taught ... racking is when you have large switchgear that requires the gear to be mechanically wound in and out as oppose to a spring loaded handle on lower ampage gear ... it is common on HV but can be associated with LV and if not done with care and safety in mind can blast out an arc field and kill hence the vid ...

At these voltages and or ampages a 30mA rcd wont cut the mustard ;)

Reply to Flash bang wallop what a picture in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net