Discuss Floor cutter in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

GrannySmiff

Hi,

I was talking to a spark (I am new to the game) and he was telling me about a floor/hole cutter that if its chip board you can cut the hole but from what he was saying it puts a bit of plastic back down in the hole as well as the circle you have chopped out and that's the hole filled no need for any fillets and nails?. Has anybody heard of this what is it called?.

Also how do you guys cut the tongue and grove in floorboards/chipboard? I have been using a fein but I think a circular saw might be good for chipboard as the fein takes ages on that , what other options are there.

I struggle with my Fein - but mainly cos I'm too tight to buy another blade at moment. :D

I've been thinking about going for this one at TLC - but don't know how well it works...

Cavity Access Master Kit

Also heard about new Exakt saw, but fraid no experience of that either. On paper it looks like it could be useful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh lord no.....
I suffer from a tool addiction and you have just showed me something else that I now feel that I need to purchase!

The kit you describe sounds like Trend Routabout

It is a good piece of kit I have one myself been using it for about 20 years had to replace the cutter a couple of times as chipboard is not the best material to cut

Routabout, Underfloor Access - Trend

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBPNjgfYQos"]YouTube - Trend Routabout Jig[/ame]

I also have the Armeg solid board cutter for smaller access holes

Forgot to add if you go for the routabout get the 1/2" shank cutter I find it better than the 1/4" one and go for as powerful router that you can. I currently use an Erbauer from Screwfix

Last edited:
Looks like a very professional finish - and great for repeat access.

My reservation - only from watching the vid - is amount of dust created, and space needed. Last time I needed to get under chipboard flooring it was close up against skirting, so only Armeg type cutter would have done.

Depends on the router how close you can get to the skirting but it normally is about 2.5"

With regard to the dust I use a router with a dust extract outlet connected to a vacuum cleaner

I've found the Armeg creates quite a bit of dust especially if you have to drill two holes because one hole is a bit small to get in to connect JB's

The kit he is on about is most probably the Armeg Solid floor cutter. Available in 2 sizes:
127mm here : Armeg Solid Board Cutter 127mm - NoLinkingToThis, Where the Trade Buys
111mm here : Armeg Solid Board Cutter 111mm - NoLinkingToThis, Where the Trade Buys

The plastic covers are :
127mm £2.98 each (£2.50ea for 10) : Armeg Solid Board Cutter Cover 127mm - NoLinkingToThis, Where the Trade Buys
111mm £3.42 each (£2.54ea for 10) : Armeg SBC Cover - 111mm - NoLinkingToThis, Where the Trade Buys

I have no connection with seller etc. Hope this helps!!

Hi,

I was talking to a spark (I am new to the game) and he was telling me about a floor/hole cutter that if its chip board you can cut the hole but from what he was saying it puts a bit of plastic back down in the hole as well as the circle you have chopped out and that's the hole filled no need for any fillets and nails?. Has anybody heard of this what is it called?.

The kit he is on about is most probably the Armeg Solid floor cutter. Available in 2 sizes:
127mm here : Armeg Solid Board Cutter 127mm - NoLinkingToThis, Where the Trade Buys
111mm here : Armeg Solid Board Cutter 111mm - NoLinkingToThis, Where the Trade Buys

The plastic covers are :
127mm £2.98 each (£2.50ea for 10) : Armeg Solid Board Cutter Cover 127mm - NoLinkingToThis, Where the Trade Buys
111mm £3.42 each (£2.54ea for 10) : Armeg SBC Cover - 111mm - NoLinkingToThis, Where the Trade Buys

I have no connection with seller etc. Hope this helps!!

Eskimo where do you reuse the circle you have cut out with the Armeg? apart from putting it in the recycling bin:)

UNG the bit you have cut out goes in the bin :( and is replaced by one of the £2.50 is plastic caps.

I suppose it would be cheaper to buy a 111mm holesaw and then just reuse the cutout by screwing a long piece of timber accross the hole.

Reply to Floor cutter in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net