Discuss Floor sockets in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

Andysparky

Evening chaps
Been asked to install floor sockets in upstairs bedrooms of house in chipboard floors are there any special back boxes for these floor sockets for using in chipboard floorboard cavity floors, as I dont want somebody falling through floor if they step on the socket. And are then regs I have not seen apart from the RCD protection (which is there) and running cables in safe zones etc

No special regs as far as I am aware, just the normal rules for mechanical protection and rcd protection. I would be tempted, probably, to cut out a section of board larger than needed for the sockets, then use some noggins on the back of it to make a really solid fixing for a deep metal pattress, flush to the right level. Fit the whole section back in afterwards.

You could probably use dry-line boxes as they'll go to around 15mm, but you might not get the sockets completely flush. You also need to think about what floor covering is going down as well.

i have done some work in new expensive flats in chelsea darling ! they put in the computer floor sockets . you couldn't use dry lining boxes as if some one did stand on them , they would break

I'm about to put a couple in a floor in a lounge - for reclining chairs! But that floor's going to be concrete screeded and have underfloor heating in it as well so it'll be fairly bomb-proof by the end product. My only dilemna is wiring method - do I just bury T&E in the muck (perfectly allowed) or am I kind to a future sparks and run it in singles in conduit?!

On the basis that there's every chance that I might mess up as well, flexi conduit to the rescue!!

think i would be temped to cut a larger section out and provide extra strength and use metal face plates not plasic if you dnt want to use the special sockets with the lid

Future proof would be my method but that could be a non issue if the property changes hands after just a few years and the seats are removed anyway ;)

And that's one of the major problems with floor sockets in a domestic situation!! I'm not convinced they are a good idea in houses etc, not unless there is a considerable amount of thought put into there positioning, as once in, they stay in, or are taken out (concrete or wood/boarding) and made good....

Have a friend in Cyprus that is intending to have pukka raised floors on the ground floor, the type that uses grid and tile. Then supplying floor box socket outlets from bus bars units. So that positioning can be changed to suit, or even add more floor box socket outlets. Expensive i know, but i don't think he's short where money is conserned!! lol!!

I'm going to use the Hamilton brass finish spring-plate proper floor sockets and metal boxes, so in theory I'm giving them every chance, but I'm not convinced! They'll be fine for the first owners with the pre-positioned reclining couches, thereafter they'll look odd and out of place. But the next set of owners aren't paying me for the job, so.....

But the upside is that as there is also a high pressure sprinkler system installed in the place (I put a thread about that a couple of weeks ago), I've insisted as designer on installing an automatic disconnection system to avoid electrified water on the floor - and that added a pleasing amount on to my margins, thank you very much!!!

Been looking on internet for cavity box with only 1 compartment managed to find legrand do 1 but dont seem to be anywhere any ideas wher youd get them or now starting to think best go with spring loaded covered socket and reinforce steel back box in floor

nogin either side of the box Id fit a dual box and run a draw wire to a point on perimeter of room incase they want network cables or something similar

Reply to Floor sockets in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net