Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss Flush mounted external junction box in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Oakman

Oakman New EF Member

hi, first time here, and not an electrician, but hopefully someone might be able to help.

Our electrician installed some outside wiring on a terrace a few years ago, terminating the cables in IP66 junction boxes so that we could put some lights in at a later date. That time has now come and I would like to get someone to put the lights in but in a different place. One of the JBs is in the wrong place and one solution would be to recess the box and then extend some armoured cable to where the light now needs to be. Doing this would mean the least disruption to the terrace and leave a connection box that isn’t a trip hazard.

The question, is recessing a box in this way permitted? (we would be ok with the top of the box being visible, ie we don’t need it buried). And if so, can anyone suggest a suitable box for me to point to?

Thank you.

2. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

Consult a spark?

Outdoor electrics is particularly sensitive to poor and or inadequate installation methods that will more than likely come back and bite you

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    what he said. water ingress and unsafe wet electrics are a nightmare. we can't go round electrocuting pigeons and squirrels. be nothing left to shoot.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    None
    There are lots of Boxes that could be recomended Oakman, but the Electrician you employ would be the best judge of what to use and how to do it safely, Murdoch's post 2 is correct, so the only advice, from me would be to get hold of an Electrician and get him to give you advice, and a price for the work you require. It would be wrong, in my opinion to give you step by step instructions, far too many imponderables to say otherwise, good luck.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    None
    Oh I dunno Mate, still 1 or 2 wasters who are stealing fresh air.

6. HandySparks

HandySparks Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Neish Electrical Services
    If this box is to be 'recessed' into the ground, I suggest extending the cable using a resin-sealed joint instead, and burying it at a suitable depth, taking into account the location.

• Agree Agree x 2