Discuss Formulas for flat 45 degree bend in cable tray in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi

Would someone kindly let me know the formula to create a flat 45 in say 100 mm cable tray for example.

So I can then use the formula on different cable tray sizes and to different angles.

So basically from my middle line what size to mark either side to cut my lip away to create different angles.

Thanks in advance

Its trigonometry, my Dear Watson

Are we talking cutting across, then cutting off the flanged edge and bending on the other flange so that the cut surface slides over itself...

Its trigonometry, my Dear Watson

Are we talking cutting across, then cutting off the flanged edge and bending on the other flange so that the cut surface slides over itself...
Hi

Yeah so line the tray, then measure either side of the centre line.

File the lip that will be removed from tray inbetween lines.

Cut down the centre line.

Then fold tray so the cuts overlap so to speak.

Basically the gap in the lip that will need cut/filed away.

Thanks again.

I think you want to:
take angle you want. 45 degrees. half it. So 22.5 in this case.
100 x tan (halved angle) = distance you want to remove lip both sides of the centre line
So 41.42mm each side in this case.

Best try it with cardboard first!

I think you want to:
take angle you want. 45 degrees. halve it. So 22.5 in this case.
100 x tan (halved angle) = distance you want to remove lip both sides of the centre line

Well, I wasn’t going to give him the answer straight away…..😆

I think you want to:
take angle you want. 45 degrees. half it. So 22.5 in this case.

Thanks to both of you guys 😁

Appreciate it

Reply to Formulas for flat 45 degree bend in cable tray in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net