Search the forum,

Discuss Free pv system in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, there, my neighbour is having a pv system fitted next wk, he has told my dad and everyone else up the street that he's getting it installed for free. My dad has asked me to look into it as he's thinking about it and so are a few other neighbours apparently. From what i understand he gets the electricity off it and the company get any feed back tariff? He says he will never have to pay a penny for any electricity it generates or any costs towards it whatsoever? is there any snags to it?

Many thanks.

Having read some of the recent publicity in the press and on the net I would check the contract small print very carefully. From what I understand there may be issues if the level of the feed in tariff is reduced which is always a possiblity and there is the issue of maintenance, damage and faults and who is liable. As these deals are based on a 25 year contract what happens if the company ceases trading with maintenance etc

As it is said if it looks to good to be true it probably is

Like UNG said, I'd check the small print.

Any firm fitting solar panels to your house for free should let you keep ALL the free electricity - the electricity that is sent back on to the grid may be a different issue. They should receive FITs (the government subsidy for electricity generated) and no more. Maintenance should be their responsibility, and comfortingly, in their best interests. If the system isn't working as well as it could, it would have more of an impact on the installing company than the customer.

The awkward part comes from when you want to move house. Will it add value to your house? I'd say it probably would, but I can't be sure. Will some potential buyers pull out of a deal because they think they look ugly? All of these firms will have it written into the contract that you cannot remove the panels from your home - unless you pay them a high fee, I would imagine.

Is it too good to be true? Depends what you want from it. If you want some free electricity which will save you around £200-300 a year then there really is no snag. However, if you can, and I cannot urge this enough - you should pay for the install yourself. It IS expensive but the returns from the system are very attractive (just ask yourself why these firms are so keen to install them for nothing in the first place). If you paid, for example, 12k for a 3kW system, you could expect returns of (depending on where you live) around £1300-1400 a year. You will quickly make your money back.

So in my opinion, the only real snag is that if you have them fitted for free you just won't be earning as much money as you could be earning.

Go and speak to your bank and get them fitted yourself :) There are no shortage of firms ready to do the installation for you.

Work has started next door, if i finish early enough i am going to pop round and have a chat with the sparks( and maybe try and blag a job!). Apparently all small print has been checked over by his solicitor and is all good. My dad has told me two others up the street have signed up, although my dad still is undecided.

Might be worth hanging on.

My brother got speaking to a guy that fits Solar Thermal systems and he reckons there is a firm that will pay you £2,000 to have solar fitted to your roof. As long as south facing, at least 3kW and unshaded, they will pay you an up front sum.

I've been trying to find whoever it is on the net but haven't found anyone doing it yet.

If this kind of thing gets too out of hand it'll push us smaller firms well out of the picture.

Hey guys what’s the latest on this? is everyone happy and any one else in the street singed up?

We have been watching this over the last 6 months and would like any information you can give us please.

Problem with this is that you are actually hiring out your roof space to these companies and there was some talk about it being for 25 years....what if you wanted to move house....? It will De-value the property by quite a bit!

While I am not a fan of these schemes, but would it de-value your home or would it be an incentive for the new owner? Its the case that it adds value to your home if your getting the FiTs, but I wonder if it is not the same when the company funding the PV are keeping the FiTs> Anyone buying the house would not get the FiTs, but would benefit from the reduced electricity bills.

Reply to Free pv system in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net